Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Jon Boy

Any one draw and hunt the southern part of 580? If so how'd you do? I hunt 315 all of the time but it gets swamped with hunters so I figured limited access plus limited tags would put a dent on the number of hunters. I do a bit of back pack hunting while the weather is still good enough that there isnt 2 feet of snow, so getting off the trail is no problem. Any advice? Trying to decide if I want to put in for it or not.

I did last year and ended up spending very little time there because of difficult access, and ended up finding plenty of elk much closer to home. I went over a couple of times to scout in August, and never stumbled upon anything that impressed me so I gave up on it.

That being said if you could take more than 3 days at a time to backpack hunt and figure out your access points or talk to the few landowners that don't outfit, I think there is great hunting to be had over there, and you'd certainly not deal with near the pressure that 315 gets. I used to hunt the west side of the Crazies but they have been overwhelmed the last couple years. Population and access is good, so FWP seems to recommend it to everyone that calls. That being said 2 of my friends killed bulls there last year...

Yah I know several locals that killed both there bull and cow last year in 315. Ive become pretty good at working around the others but hell archery is even a mad house now. Just looking for different options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back