Caribou Gear

4th Rifle

land7601

Wondering if anyone has ever hunted either GMU 33 or 34 during 4th rifle season? I am from Colorado, so I know how harsh the conditions can be. Just curious as I see a few leftover licenses available. I am eager to get back on the mountain in search of a elk after a failed 1st season bull hunt due in large part to a terrible experience with my hunt partner.

Definitely not looking for any secret spots. But I have been combing the areas over on OnX Maps after looking up the hunt statistics on the DOW website. Just curious if anyone has insight into either of the units and their hunt ability / likelihood to hold elk this time of the year.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Last edited:
You can't have two A tags regardless of leftover or not.
rules.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Although the vast majority will be private land only tags. Check the column in the big game brochure for license type and make sure it's a B tag and make sure it's for the entire unit, anything with a P in the code i.e., EF052OP5 is private land only. Also not all cow tags are type B for instance in unit 53 and 63 Cow tags are on the A list.

Good luck! I know the rules can be a bit tricky. A good strategy for next year if you want a longer season would be to get a OTC Bull tag for either Archery, 2nd, or 3rd season and then put in an application for a Cow tag or to put in an application for a 1st rifle Bull tag and then jump on the leftover list when it comes out in the late summer. Also I know some landowners are more likely to let you on their property to kill a cow, elk can do crop damage and some ranchers want them hazed off, you might investigate and see if you can get some permission. A good place to start is calling the CPAW office in that area and asking them if they know landowners that commonly allow hunter access. Don't buy a private land tag without permission secured first.

Hopefully this helps!

There are still some up there for other units, just not for 33 or 34.
tag.JPG

Yes. Although the vast majority will be private land only tags. Check the column in the big game brochure for license type and make sure it's a B tag and make sure it's for the entire unit, anything with a P in the code i.e., EF052OP5 is private land only. Also not all cow tags are type B for instance in unit 53 and 63 Cow tags are on the A list.

Good luck! I know the rules can be a bit tricky. A good strategy for next year if you want a longer season would be to get a OTC Bull tag for either Archery, 2nd, or 3rd season and then put in an application for a Cow tag or to put in an application for a 1st rifle Bull tag and then jump on the leftover list when it comes out in the late summer. Also I know some landowners are more likely to let you on their property to kill a cow, elk can do crop damage and some ranchers want them hazed off, you might investigate and see if you can get some permission. A good place to start is calling the CPAW office in that area and asking them if they know landowners that commonly allow hunter access. Don't buy a private land tag without permission secured first.

Hopefully this helps!

Super helpful info, I appreciate you taking the time to help!

I could for instance grab one of the remaining 154 EF032O3R tags though correct?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back