Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

Honestly I have several good bear defense guns. I usually switch back and forth between my 10 mm and my 44 mag. In a timed drill on the range I can draw and make 3 hits with the 44 double action in the same amount of time I can draw and make 5 hits with the 10 mm. Ironically my group is tighter with the 3 44 rounds think 3" to around 5" on the 10 mm. I live in bear country and have encountered both flavors there's not enough time to worry about 16 or 6 rounds and it comes down to what's most comfortable and what you shoot the best. If your lucky in a bear charge you may get 1 good hit an hopefully slow it down or divert the charge and get a chance to fire more rounds. I don't know if any surprise situation will ever give you a chance to fire more than 6 rounds. Sometimes stopping a charge doesn't mean pole axing the bear with a drt brain shot hell even a miss that sprays debris into the bears eyes and nose to by sheer stupid luck is enough to turn the bear or slow it down and give you a chance to better defend yourself. Freaking out and losing your head and going crazy on the trigger will probably cause more misses and make you a bigger danger to any partners you have than the damn bear.

Anyone in the market for a Springfield? FFS.

Attachments

• 350D99D3-9FF0-4F8E-988F-E3CEB4AFA3C3.jpeg
    350D99D3-9FF0-4F8E-988F-E3CEB4AFA3C3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 85391A71-A18D-4D9E-8D8E-1ABD3F43275C.jpeg
    85391A71-A18D-4D9E-8D8E-1ABD3F43275C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Been looking at the glock 10 mm with hot bear loads for a back up in case a grizzly decides to invade my space. My gun shop owner says 44 mag over the 10 mm. He's a WY resident and says the 10 mm hype is just that. Im about having close to 3x the firepower vs a wheel gun....what say ye?
I know it’s not on your list but I would highly recommend you consider carrying a bolt action rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. When you get down to it, ballistic coefficient is what really matters most for killing grizzly bears. Plus with that round you know your first shot will be a perfect hit to the CNS.

Been looking at the glock 10 mm with hot bear loads for a back up in case a grizzly decides to invade my space. My gun shop owner says 44 mag over the 10 mm. He's a WY resident and says the 10 mm hype is just that. Im about having close to 3x the firepower vs a wheel gun....what say ye?
I live in Alaska among the bears and have both the 44mag and 10mm. For the last 20 years the most I carry is my custom Glock 20 with Handloaded Hard Cast ammo or Underwood Hardcast Ammo. I like the 15 round capacity. I still have my SW 629 4” and carry it once in awhile. I am very pleased with my G20.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 19
Get one you will wear. I hunted WY last year and wore my 44 3 days, it was just too much weight. Partner had his 10 and I just carried spray.
Spray is only for Democrats!
For a 44Mag a 4” or 4” 5/8 is perfect for a trail gun.
The Glock 20 in 10mm with Hardcast ammo is excellent in bear country very popular in Alaska as a trail gun.

My bullets I use in Alaska for Bear Protection in 44 Mag and 10mm.

.429 255gr Hardcast GC Coated
.400 214gr Hardcast Coated

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0071.png
    IMG_0071.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
Spray is only for Democrats!
For a 44Mag a 4” or 4” 5/8 is perfect for a trail gun.
The Glock 20 in 10mm with Hardcast ammo is excellent in bear country very popular in Alaska as a trail gun.
Well, more times than not I carried nothing just my bow so I guess that makes me stupid. I can walk most people into the ground, the 44mag was simply a pain in the ass to carry around 5-7 miles a day.

Well, more times than not I carried nothing just my bow so I guess that makes me stupid. I can walk most people into the ground, the 44mag was simply a pain in the ass to carry around 5-7 miles a day.
Friend if your in Cougar or Bear territory I would strongly suggest taking a handgun especially when you sleep at night or dressing game in the field. A G20 modified slightly is my favorite and my SW 629 44 in 4” is my second favorite for the trail all using Hardcast ammo !

Friend if your in Cougar or Bear territory I would strongly suggest taking a handgun especially when you sleep at night or dressing game in the field. A G20 modified slightly is my favorite and my SW 629 44 in 4” is my second favorite for the trail all using Hardcast ammo. Here in Alaska we normally have 2 to 3 people killed each year by Bear and moose that were unarmed and armed but untrained and sometimes well trained. I also Bowhunt but my G20 is always on my chest. Most of the time it’s Black Bear around camp. But when salmon fishing the Huge Brown Bears will come down and get to close so I shoot over their heads or in front of them it get their attention.

Friend if your in Cougar or Bear territory I would strongly suggest taking a handgun especially when you sleep at night or dressing game in the field. A G20 modified slightly is my favorite and my SW 629 44 in 4” is my second favorite for the trail all using Hardcast ammo. Here in Alaska we normally have 2 to 3 people killed each year by Bear and moose that were unarmed and armed but untrained and sometimes well trained. I also Bowhunt but my G20 is always on my chest. Most of the time it’s Black Bear around camp. But when salmon fishing the Huge Brown Bears will come down and get to close so I shoot over their heads or in front of them it get their attention.
Like I said, call me stupid. I remember fishing a stream for salmon on Kodiak, way in off the road, bumped into a guy and he asked "where's your pistol"......... I told him I was here working, just fishing, didn't have one. About an hour later I had a big brownie join me in the hole I was fishing. I let him have it.

I would much rather have a pistol than spray for various reasons. All I'm saying it make sure it's light enough to carry. If not, like me, it will be left in camp more times than not. From my non-toting point of view, I had a chest holster, and thought it would be better. I think I'd prefer one on my pack or hip holster but luckily I won't have to make that decision for a while. Good luck with whatever you choose.

It’s kinda funny you will see tourist come to Alaska to enjoy the great outdoors with Bear Spray and bells attached to their packs .

Are those bells actually “Dinner Bells”

I live in Alaska among the bears and have both the 44mag and 10mm. For the last 20 years the most I carry is my custom Glock 20 with Handloaded Hard Cast ammo or Underwood Hardcast Ammo. I like the 15 round capacity. I still have my SW 629 4” and carry it once in awhile. I am very pleased with my G20.
Is it too early to nominate for a talkie award?

Most repeat posts/pics in the same thread.

Congrats, you are ahead of Shrapnel.

Is it too early to nominate for a talkie award?

Most repeat posts/pics in the same thread.

Congrats, you are ahead of Shrapnel.
Did I tell you the story of me and young bull moose and the boat paddle in my front yard ?

I know it’s not on your list but I would highly recommend you consider carrying a bolt action rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. When you get down to it, ballistic coefficient is what really matters most for killing grizzly bears. Plus with that round you know your first shot will be a perfect hit to the CNS.
Sorry, I don't think that's a very good idea. At the ranges we are anticipating there are many calibers that would be more effective. A 45/70, 450 Marlin, might be a good choice for a rifle.

6.5 no way for any Bear !
All black bear hunting starts with the 30-30 win and goes up in cal. If it were just black bear I spent my teen age years behind Milk Craig Plott hounds chasing bear with my 1952 Win 94 in the NC mountains……..I guess you could call me a Ridge Runner.

6.5 no way for any Bear !
All black bear hunting starts with the 30-30 win and goes up in cal. If it were just black bear I spent my teen age years behind Milk Craig Plott hounds chasing bear with my 1952 Win 94 in the NC mountains……..I guess you could call me a Ridge Runner.
Bro I’d shoot a black bear with a .223.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back