Yeti GOBOX Collection

2WD truck and ATV?

todwyer

Hello, and Merry Christmas to everyone.
I'm from Arkansas and thinking of a DYI rifle antelope hunt for 2018. Likely in Wyoming. I'm concerned that my 2wd truck may not be up to the challenge of the county roads if they're wet and slick. Would hate to drive 18 hours only to find slick, muddy roads. I'm not afraid of a hike, but Many of the BLM/state areas are several miles off the paved highways. My question is does anyone bring an atv with them? Maybe park as far as the truck will get me and ride atv from there.
I'm going to check with the relevant county/agency to be sure it's legal. I wouldn't be running up and down the roads (or offroad) like some knuckleheads here in Arkansas, just using if necessary to get to a spot and then hike in from there.

Sorry for the newbie question, and thanks for any advice.

Welcome! I’ve only hunted in the National Grasslands and the red clay makes amazingly slick/sticker goo when it rains. I think with Onxmaps and preplanning you can find an area to hunt with some gravel roads without the ATV. Remember to look at the HMAs where a lot of those will have a improved road system to get you around. As long as your willing to walk and stay off the red clay you will be fine with good tires.

Where I've shot my 2 buck the past 2 years and a bunch of doe you could very easily hunt it with a ford focus so yes you can.. From there I walked a couple miles but the roads are good to different places to park. Good luck on your hunt.

You are going to travel a long ways to hunt. Why limit your options. If the atv isn't that much trouble. Grab some chains for the truck while you are at it. Max your options.

There very well could be times neither will get you down the road and you have to wait for the wind to dry out the roads.
Some BLM and FS roads are enrolled in the ORV trail system and you'll need an orv sticker to use them, it is available here at almost all atv shops and license selling agents.
Bring the atv and chains like tradewind suggests.
If you atv is registered for street use there it is legal here too, if not just get the orv sticker and you'll be good.

My last trip to Wy I wish I had an ATV. Not for slick roads, but due to washouts. There were a couple of large walk-in's I just couldn't get to and it was a major pain to turn around in that big F-150. I'd have given a weeks pay for a simple 125cc dirt bike !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back