Caribou Gear

2nd Season GMU 22 - Worth Getting Elk tag?

navy_chief

Hey All,

Pumped about planning for the hunt this fall...wanted to throw out to the veteran Colorado hunters if it's worth getting the OTC elk for unit 22 while I hunt 2nd season mulies? I'll be hunting solo for mule deer and I'm currently on the fence if I should save up for the extra OTC elk tag. Thoughts from those who have hunted around unit 22 second season? Thanks all and if this question has already been put out there my apologies...found a similar post for archery season unit 22 but nothing around 2nd season.

Navy Chief!

I'd focus on deer. None of the elk I've ever seen there have been worth muddying up a chance at a big muley

Thanks Stubaby. I'm really not a trophy elk hunter, just a meat hunter but my priority will be on mule deer. Never hunted this unit so I don't know what to expect to see for mule deer.

I would save you money. There is a chance you might see a bull but odds are pretty low. It is a good deer hunt even during the earlier 2nd season. I have helped a lot of guys on both second season and 3rd season tags. In all that time there has only been one time we found a bull we could have tried for... I spend a lot of time in the unit and unless you for go deer and focus on elk only your odds of finding a bull are pretty low.

Of course there is always a chance but odds are against you. You spent a couple years to get this tag. Focus on the deer tag, you can always come back and get a bull tag on a different year.

elks...Thanks for the heads up. I'll take the advice and focus mainly on the mulies. I've always heard to get away from the roads but this particular unit seems to be pretty heavy on the road access but I guess the deer are still there.

Back