270 WSM

TN2shot07

So a friend of mine got in a bit of a pinch, had to get rid of a couple of rifles. He had a Model 70 in 270 wsm, synthetic stock, New Haven gun. It’s been fired 7 times. Also came with 5 boxes of the Winchester silver tips, which I’ve never used before. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with them and if they’re generally shooters? (Guess it’s too late since I picked it up already). Also never owned or shot one, wasn’t sure what to expect.
Thanks!

I have a 270WSM. Its actually my favorite deer/Antelope gun.It shoots lights out and hits hard. I have not shot the silvertips in it but I have used them in 300WM. I have no issues with them for deer but for elk in my opinion they are not tough enough.I have shot a few elk with them including my best bull and it just didn't perform like I wanted. In a 270WSM they would be great and I would shoot them in mine.

Thanks! I’ve heard they aren’t the toughest bullet. I normally shoot accubonds if they shoot well out of the rifle, but since it came with all that ammo I hate to not use it. Also should last a while, didn’t figure it’s one you’d want to spend a day at the range with.

270wsm is a killing caliber, period. I have used one for several years. Deer, antelope, bear, elk, coyote. I shoot berger 150 vld in mine. It will ruin some meat, but nothing limps away. Killed elk at over 500 yards. Great caliber.

Thanks! I’ve heard they aren’t the toughest bullet. I normally shoot accubonds if they shoot well out of the rifle, but since it came with all that ammo I hate to not use it. Also should last a while, didn’t figure it’s one you’d want to spend a day at the range with.
I think you will really enjoy that rifle and the 270 WSM sure is a screamer. I do not have one but the ballistics are impressive and I like the Winchester Model 70. I'm with you and Accubonds are great bullets that really hold together well and penetrate well. You might get or load some 130 gr. Accubonds and see how they shoot in it. I would try the Ballistic tips once sighted in with the Accubonds and you might get lucky and find that they might just hit close enough to the same POI that you would. not have to mess with changing anything to shoot them for practice or on lighter game such as deer, antelope, coyotes, etc. I think you got a good one!!

While the .277 caliber isn't for me, it's a proven caliber with a long tradition of hunting success.
The Silver Tip is nothing more than a Ballistic Tip with an antifriction coating and a different colored tip.
Members on here have/do take elk with the Ballistic Tip.

Enjoy your new to you rifle!

The Winchester Silvertips and the Nosler BT’s are the same bullet, the only exception is the Winchester ones have a grey tip and Lubalox coating. It was a joint venture between the 2 companies. The Nosler BT’s and AB’s are the same bullet except for the AB’s are bonded. I use the BT’s for practice and save the AB’s for hunting.

The Winchester Silvertips and the Nosler BT’s are the same bullet, the only exception is the Winchester ones have a grey tip and Lubalox coating. It was a joint venture between the 2 companies. The Nosler BT’s and AB’s are the same bullet except for the AB’s are bonded. I use the BT’s for practice and save the AB’s for hunting.
That’s nice to know, I’ll definitely see if I can hunt down some accubonds then and see how close I can get them. Thanks!

I have a 270WSM in a Savage Weather Warrior. I'm loading using a Hornady 130 grain SST bullet which is close to the Silvertips/Ballistic Tips. I shot a doe during our early doe season here in MI. She was facing me and I shot her between the center of the chest and inside of front shoulder. She was DRT. The entrance hole in her chest was the size of a baseball. The bullet never exited, but was found in the gut pile and was very mangled. With that in mind, maybe you should use the Silvertips for practice and the Accubonds for hunting.

i have a Winchester Model 70 in this caliber and I love it best bolt rifle I've owned shoots like a champ.

I have a 270WSM in a Savage Weather Warrior. I'm loading using a Hornady 130 grain SST bullet which is close to the Silvertips/Ballistic Tips. I shot a doe during our early doe season here in MI. She was facing me and I shot her between the center of the chest and inside of front shoulder. She was DRT. The entrance hole in her chest was the size of a baseball. The bullet never exited, but was found in the gut pile and was very mangled. With that in mind, maybe you should use the Silvertips for practice and the Accubonds for hunting.
The Nosler ballistic silvertip has a thicker jacket and a solid base compared to the SST which is pretty thin throughout. If they are 150 grain BSTs I'm pretty sure there isn't an elk out there that would survive one to the vitals. If they are 130 grain you'll have higher velocity and a greater chance of fragmentation or penetration problems especially at angles or through the shoulder shots. The 130s would be instant death on deer and pronghorn and a little iffy on elk. If it's too complicated you can ship the rifle to me. HA!

William Munny would have done well with a 270wsm. I love mine. I have a break on it and 10-12 year olds have killed deer with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back