270 Short Mag

Antler King

Just wondering if anybody on the forum has ever used a 270 short Mag before and what they think of it. I am pretty much just a bowhunter but am wanting to get a somewhat all purpose rifle. Currently i shoot a 30.06. Thinking the 270 Short mag would maybe be a better all around calibur.

I have a Tikka 270 WSM and it is a very smooth shooting gun. The recoil is very light and is a very good caliber for deer in my opinion.

CABugle

why would you change if you have a 30.06 and don't use it that often?

I think for an all around caliber you have as good as it gets. There are more bullet options than probably any other round. If however you need a new gun because they are so much fun any of the WSM should fill that void.

why would you change if you have a 30.06 and don't use it that often?

The 30.06 works fine, just wanting to try something different. Also thinking about getting the buris eliminator scope to either put on the .06 or the 270 to increase long range accuracy but It's hard for me to wrap my head around shooting long range when I'm used to 70 yards or less with the bow. Would be nice to have that option though.

I picked one up about 5 years ago....saw it as a poor man's 257 wby mag. Ballistics pretty close when comparing a 130 gr 27 short mag cal to a 120 gr 25 wby mag cal but ammo much more affordable. I had owned a 25 roy...ammo expensive and the recoil to caliber wasn't acceptable IMO. The 270 short is a very effective deer/hog round in 130 or 140 grain...prefer 140 accubonds. I also wouldn't hesitate using it for elk and have taken it to Colorado as equipment backup.

I have a cheaper Winchester model 70 in 270 Wsm that I have been hunting with for about 6 years now. I love it, very versitle and fun too shoot. I have killed deer, elk and bear with it at ranges from 100 to 500 yards. I am currently rebuilding mine, adding a bell and Carlson stock and a new scope so it will be fun to sight in and get ready for the up coming season. So I would say go for it, I don't think you will be unhappy IMO .....

The '06 is a great all purpose gun as others have stated. In my opinion, the 270 WSM brings little more to the table. The 7mm WSM would be a better choice if you're looking for a short mag.

Speaking of 270 wsm, midway has a sale on federal premium ammo 130 grain nosler partition for $23 a box. Holy crap! I had to buy some for sure. sale is good til end of month. Just wanted to let you all know. Mine shipped same day, but they will probably sell out fast. Thought it was a misprint.

I bought a Win mod 70 fwt in 270 wsm in it's first year of production. It is my "go to" rifle and I have taken somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 big game animals with it. It's a very fine cartridge.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back