$230 bargain rifle.

T Bone

Occasionally I stop by and peruse a local gun shop. The clearance rack is usually a cluster of junk military and rusty muzzleloaders.

One rifle caught my eye...It was labeled as a Remington 78 Sportsman. I'd never heard of it....788 yes, 700 yes, but never a model 78. It looked identical to a 700.

It had a ton of paint stain and overspray on it. It was very much an ugly duck. I looked at the bolt and determined the metal to be in good shape and the bore was too dirty to tell what it looked like. $230 out the door with some Weaver mounts thrown in. Worst case scenario it was an action to build on.

I took it home, cleaned everything up. The paint overspray came off easily and underneath it I found a very plain jane looking Remington 700. The internet told me the model 78 was made in the mid 80's for a few years as Remingtons low price point rifle. It is 100% interchangeable with a model 700.
P4129399.jpg

P4129403.jpg

It hadn't been shot much, but looks to have spent a lot of time riding in a back window gun rack.

I mounted a Leupold 4x fixed and dug out an old box of 180 grn round nose factory ammo someone gave me.

After getting it on paper, I backed up to 100 yards, settled into the sandbags and shot a 3/4" group. Nice!
P4129400.jpg

I clicked in the corrections and was popping rocks out to 300 yards no problem.

After bedding, it'll be a good beater/loaner rifle. A $230 30-06 is always a righteous decision :)

Sweet....how much eye relief does that fixed 4 have? An extended front base might be a good idea.

Thats alot of bang for your buck. Who says you have to spend a bunch of money to get a gun that shoots good.

Back in the "good old days" when Remington's low end rifle was still as good as a 700. Now we have this "770" POS

Thats cool T-Bone. I bought a 7mm weatherby Mag in the Mauser 98, 100 pieces of Brass and Leupold base and rings for $250 bucks.

I loaded up some rounds since the price for factory ammo is around 50 bucks per box.

I have not shot it yet but I hope it groups like your great buy.

Some smiths claim the Model 48 action, although a 700, was superior to the actual 700. I look for them everywhere I go. mtmuley

Great find, 30-06 is one of my favorites. My beater rifle is a 98 Mauser in .257 Roberts, sometimes it's nice to have a rifle that you don't have to baby.

You dog! I ended up with dad's aught 6/721 and some dork before him did a butcher job on a nice stock.Makes he sick every time I look at it, but if it was good enough for dad, good enough for me because it shoots lights out! Will try to find the pics this weekend.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back