2023 Wyoming Unit 5 Sheep tag

I’m old and retired with time on my hands so I will put in a bunch of time and savor the adventure. It’s more than likely my last sheep hunt.
Being retired and having time on your hands definitely tips the scale of success in your direction. The "old" part, not so much. (I know from experience)
I hunted unit 4 almost 20 years ago and my guide pointed to a spot in unit 5 where rams wandered out of the wilderness later in the season. I know a younger guy from Montana that got his sheep in 5 a couple of years ago, waiting them out. The challenge is banking on snow and sheep movement to make it happen. I could try to connect you if you want to PM me.

I drew Unit 5 Wyoming sheep tag. I will scout quite a bit but could use any info anyone might be willing to give. I will not have access to the Wilderness or horses. I know, I know, I’m a fool. Get past that and if you can help I appreciate it.
Good luck to you!

I know a WY resident who killed a real nice ram in Area 5, two years ago. He hunted a fair bit all season but harvested his ram later. I know on their hunt, snow/winter pushed some rams to the southern end of the unit later in the season.

I joined a friend of mine on his Area 3 tag, five years ago. We made 3 trips - 2 scouting trips, and the final trip opening weekend to hunt. We saw 8 different grizzly bears during our trips. So, word to the wise, be bear-aware. I believe 3 has more griz than 5 (not positive, just assuming) but, like most sheep tags in the GYE, something to be noted. I frequently hunt in thick griz country in both MT and WY, and I haven't let that ever change how I hunt or where I go.

Hunttalk can be a great resource for connecting to like-minded folks who would be happy to help.

We love a good, finished write-up. Just look at this thread (Into the Beartooth - Goat hunt in HD 316) for an example of what not to do.

Again, best of luck! Hoping for big rams and a top-notch experience in your future!

The GRIZ thing has messed with my mind set so far. I’m glad to hear you have experience in GRIZ country but do things the same regardless. In my first two hours of glassing I saw two GRIZ. One good sized the other small. Great country. The elk, deer, and pronghorn mothers were giving birth and I even saw a pregnant doe with her fetus partially exposed. I can’t believe the number of elk. From 5,000 ft to 11000 ft. Keep in mind there is a great chance no hero shot will conclude this thread but I can certainly share a few of the ones I’ve taken. The rivers are high and roads are washed out. Headed back on Monday for round two. In the third picture there are some elk fairly close and it’s where I saw the small GRIZ. The sheep were in Yellowstone on the highway I hope it’s not the only rams I see on the adventure😳

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpeg
    IMG_3994.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3995.jpeg
    IMG_3995.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3996.jpeg
    IMG_3996.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4004.jpeg
    IMG_4004.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4019.jpeg
    IMG_4019.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3979.jpeg
    IMG_3979.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3982.jpeg
    IMG_3982.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3977.jpeg
    IMG_3977.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 112
Great start poormanslam. Awesome pictures.
Most serious wilderness hunters/fishermen have learned to deal with bears. Obviously a clean camp-food in a tree away from camp, etc. are necessary. You will also have a rifle for protection when you are hunting. I'm not too afraid of bears, but I've always shown them the respect they deserve. I've had a couple of close encounters but always had weapon protection that was not needed.
While some will go solo into Griz country, but I'm not one of them. Too many not so good possibilities without someone close by to help.
Keep us posted!

This is what has me somewhat apprehensive. While scouting I won’t have my rifle and will be alone ALOT.
Well, I've always been told that bear spray works better than a rifle anyway, but thankfully, I've never had to test that theory.

My Swarovski spotter had a rattle in it last year. I waited until the end of hunting season to send it in. It took 3-4 months to get it back (March). I took out on this trip and it is blurry. I’m without a spotter indefinitely.
A spotter is almost as essential as your rifle for your hunt but my guess is right now, you won't be seeing sheep where you will be hunting them. I'd get it sent off ASAP and maybe borrow one until you can get it back. I use a pair of 15x56 binos on a tripod for most of my sheep spotting, and a scope is more for seeing if a ram is worth going after. It' wouldn't be an adventure if you didn't have issues, but I'm sure you will get it figured out.

This is what has me somewhat apprehensive. While scouting I won’t have my rifle and will be alone ALOT.
Since you’ll be out alone a lot, I would make sure to invest into some sort of gps messaging device (zoleo, inReach, etc.) if you don’t, already.

I have an inReach and use it to communicate to my wife on where I am camping, checking in for updates, etc. and also have used it to rally the troops for pack-outs. Just a really simple and handy way to keep in touch, especially when I’m alone.

For bear defense, when I am alone archery hunting, I bring both my pistol and spray. I usually have my spray on my hip belt on my pack and then my pistol holstered on my body.

When I am rifle hunting, I usually just bring spray, on my pack, and then have my rifle.

Well you can see I found the Bar.

It seems like every day is eventful. I am up to 9 different GRIZ sightings and even found 5 rams today. The scenery is spectacular. The storms at 10000 plus have been almost every day. Hail, snow, rain or all of the above. Just loving the experience. Won’t be back for several weeks. I am already looking forward to the next outing. I have a few more pics I will try to get out. Without my spotting scope the digiscoping sucks. I have a few bear pics and videos. Terrible quality.

The forecast predicted 20 mph sustained and 40 mph gusts. I didn’t believe it, but they got it correct. It made tough glassing and the digiscoping was real difficult. We were bitten by mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, ants and I got my second tick bite of the year.
I’m surprised how much has changed as far as animal densities and movement from late June. I saw fewer elk and pronghorn but there are still plenty. A tenth of a mile into our hike I stepped into a mud pot and with a full pack I sank up to my knee. I didn’t think I was going to get out. That mud is almost impossible to shed. I think the round trip driving is about 680 miles. My fourth trip will be this week. It has been an absolute joy to be in this country. It’s spectacular. To top it all off I have not seen a single person while I have been off the main roads. We walked to the edge of the wilderness and the scenic vistas are all unique. The elk sheds were picked up at …9500 ft. And we watched some pronghorn cross a divide at 12000 ft., seems rare. There are a few rams I would love to kill in that picture I’m just not sure I can get to them. The second picture has a herd of 50 elk. The current count is 15 sheep and 14 different grizzlies in 9 days of scouting.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.png
    IMG_0509.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0390.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Hey @poormanslam … Have you considered renting a spotting scope? I’ve rented from Todd at optics4rent.com multiple times. He rents Swaros and it’s super easy & affordable.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back