2023 TX Whitetail

HuntTalk Freak

I’m finally on my first solo hunt of the year after hunting with my wife last week. I made her pass up a four year old 10pt the first evening in hopes we’d see something better; we didn’t and she was a bit miffed at me.

Anyway I’m back out at my cabin fighting the mice. Seen four younger bucks and one raccoon this evening. I almost pulled the trigger on a weird looking 5pt but he was kind of young.

Rain in the forecast tonight and in the morning so hopefully it’ll be cloudy and the moon won’t be as bright. Would be nice to see some rutting action tomorrow.

I tinkered with the digiscoping set up I bought last year. IMG_5125.jpegIMG_5127.jpegIMG_5130.jpegIMG_5132.jpegIMG_5136.jpegIMG_5135.jpeg

Wife wants to shoot a 10 pointer and you tell her to pass. You are a very brave man. You better not bring home an 8 pointer 😁
I told her I was gonna shoot the 10 if I saw it this week, the look of pure anger in her eyes she gave me was worth the laugh.

She’s been spoiled, her first two deer were bigger than every buck I killed for the first five years or more that I hunted. Now it’s time for her to learn some patience but I was/am torn on the decision as she was very excited about that deer.

The sun came out and it got HOT! I bet it was close to 80. I was sweating in the pop up and resorting to stripping down a bit. 😂IMG_5166.jpeg
The deer started pouring out of the woods though. I think I had nine in front of me at the end and had to wait a while for a clear shot.
This is the 10pt that I made my wife pass.
IMG_5176.jpegIMG_5161.jpegIMG_5178.jpeg

Well I let her shoot the 10pt this evening since this was our last chance and he was only the second deer we seen all day.
The first thing she said was “oh crap” after the shot, she wasn’t sure it was a good hit. We take a little time and go look for blood and it’s easily spotted and trackable. We go a little ways and I can hear the deer in the brush so we back out and go get the truck.

It turned into a little bit of a track job, about 200yds but he ended up not twenty yards from a road. Shot was just a little back but got one lung. She opted to get this one shoulder mounted. IMG_5252.jpeg

Made the trip to pick up her meat from the processor today. I pretty much do all my own but am glad we dropped this one off as we all started getting the flu/covid a few days later. I had 104 temp for about two days and sat at 100 off and on for about two weeks it seemed. No way I was processing meat. Plus the girls got it and my kiddo still is off and on with a low grade fever.

Anyway, I stopped at the cabin for the night. Gonna spot and stalk for hogs in the morning while breaking in a new pack.

Dinner tonight was doe backstrap from 2022 and fried taters and onions.
IMG_5362.jpegIMG_5364.jpegIMG_5366.jpeg

Well I let her shoot the 10pt this evening since this was our last chance and he was only the second deer we seen all day.
The first thing she said was “oh crap” after the shot, she wasn’t sure it was a good hit. We take a little time and go look for blood and it’s easily spotted and trackable. We go a little ways and I can hear the deer in the brush so we back out and go get the truck.

It turned into a little bit of a track job, about 200yds but he ended up not twenty yards from a road. Shot was just a little back but got one lung. She opted to get this one shoulder mounted. View attachment 307953
Nice buck...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back