2023 Sask WT adventures

The big 5x4 likes my SW bait here almost every day and often in daylight. Going to try and get my GF him but she can’t hunt till a couple after opener. Season opens November 15 and I’m not sure what my plan is. The bucks I have figured out I don’t want to shoot or I want her to try for. Guess I’ll watch the weather and figure something out. I took the first week of season off work. Baits have been slow it’s warm and we got rain last week so grass is actually greening up in November which I have never seen before. With it being so
Slow I am concerned my GF will sit one day say screw this it’s being and be done. If that’s the case I’ll try to kill that 5x4 lol.
IMG_0589.jpeg
IMG_0588.jpegIMG_0582.jpegIMG_0580.jpeg

What's your general approach... Ground blind? Tree stand? Sit all day or get em patterned and come for primetime? How far back off the bait do you sit?

What's your general approach... Ground blind? Tree stand? Sit all day or get em patterned and come for primetime? How far back off the bait do you sit?
All day sits in a ground blind. Years past I had my blinds back about 200 yards along the fence line. This year I moved them closer. They are 50-100 yards away and it hasn’t seemed to bother them putting the blinds close this year

It’s the day before season and I’m tying up all the loose ends at work. Season runs November 15-December 2. Weather is supposed to suck till about the 20th then start cooling down. Right now we are having highs in the 35-40 range and once it cools down later next week highs of about 15-20. I took off the 15-22 and left my schedule pretty open after that in case I need to take more time off. Plan for tomorrow is in the morning hit up an area I have never been before and try to rattle one in then check cards and most likely sit my 2nd best spot. Plan to save my best spot till the 17th when my GF can hunt and try to get her that big 5x4 from above. Although if he walks by me in my second best spot I make no guarantees I’ll be able to pass him lol.

I am Still clinging onto hope this buck I found late in the season last year comes back. I have had a few bucks never come to this spot till November 25-28 maybe he is one of them. Or maybe the coyotes ate him. Guess we will find out
IMG_1452.jpeg
IMG_1451.jpeg

Started the day by checking cards right at first light. Then checked out a new spot that was a let down and by around 11 I got settled into the stand. Ended up seeing a small buck, doe and fawn on stand and a doe and buck from
The truck. The buck was so focused on the doe and running her harder than any deer I have ever seen. Almost reminded me of a buck antelope after a doe. Also one other hunter in the area. Fingers crossed I get a crack at him
IMG_1473.jpeg
IMG_1472.jpeg
IMG_1470.jpegDSCF0208.jpegDSCF0219.jpegDSCF0207.jpegDSCF0222.jpeg

I’m no expert but that nontypical looks young. No grey, no droopy belly, no roman nose. Don’t get me wrong, I’d shoot him if I had the opportunity but I think he will be bigger next year.
Anyone want to guess age on that non typical? I am honestly seriously considering letting him go one year. It’s a gamble but might pay off big. If that’s the case I’ll chase that heavy 5x4 with the tank body. He’s the boss buck so maybe getting him out will
Keep that other one around. Maybe that non typical will wonder away chasing does or maybe bust half his rack off. Guess we will see. November 15 season opener is a long ways off still

Day two very slow. A doe and little buck on bait then at four said screw it went and rebait a different spot. Decent amount of action there but the buck I’m after is all at night. He was more daylight active in early November than now and he has had no pressure. Maybe I’ll get lucky on my first sit for the new stand. Weather sucks for the weekend then starts cooling down next week
IMG_1623.jpegIMG_1624.jpegIMG_1614.jpegIMG_1597.jpegIMG_1593.jpeg

Were you asleep at 230? I assumed you to be a smarter man @Sask hunter ?
Why in the world would you pass up? That tells me you are set on that other deer and you are only hunting him??????

Were you asleep at 230? I assumed you to be a smarter man @Sask hunter ?
Why in the world would you pass up? That tells me you are set on that other deer and you are only hunting him??????
Lol crosshairs on him at 100 yards broadside. Was probably toughest pass I have ever done. Post 17 on this thread I have pictures that I’m fairly certain was him last year and if that’s the case I think he is only 3.5 this year so I chose to give him one more year before season started even. If I’m Lucky enough to get on him next year he won’t be so lucky. Yes I’m chasing that other buck but if a big stranger shows up I’ll have no issues tagging him

Anyone want to guess age on that non typical? I am honestly seriously considering letting him go one year. It’s a gamble but might pay off big. If that’s the case I’ll chase that heavy 5x4 with the tank body. He’s the boss buck so maybe getting him out will
Keep that other one around. Maybe that non typical will wonder away chasing does or maybe bust half his rack off. Guess we will see. November 15 season opener is a long ways off still

If I had a chance at the non typical, I’d take it , there’s no way I could wait. That’s too cool of a buck.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back