Caribou Gear Tarp

2023 Colorado draw results Moose/Prong/Elk/Deer

I almost didn’t draw a bear tag because someone a-hole with double digits bear points jumped in out of nowhere. Lmao.

How dare he!
That happens way too often. Drives me nuts that a dude applies with 12 points on a 1-2 point unit.

I saw a guy last year apply with 12 points on a unit that had a 75% chance to draw ON SECOND CHOICE!!

Accrued my 26th antelope point this year. How’s that for dumbest post on this thread!
Let me help you out. @Khunter how many bear points you have?
HaHa, I could indeed claim dumbest post if I posted my bear points.

At the point (pun intended) my bear points are a point of pride and example of grossly excessive hoarding.

I’m always curious if in situations like this if it was a mistake in hunt code choice or an actual correct choice.
I’m always afraid I’ll do that someday by mistake. If so sure hope it’s in a state that allows a guy to return it & reclaim points.

This.

It’s been happening for years and people are in denial about it.
I have know doubt a few game the system I just wonder how prevalent it truly is? I wouldn't think hoards of parents are out there doing this just a select few. If that's the case then I believe it still does more good then bad. No system is perfect and a select few will always find a way. I see real value in allowing kids first choice on the secondary draw! Especially in a day and age where if draw odds continue on the current trend it will allow them opportunities they literally may never have a chance at again. I get it applying for a tag and not drawing in the main draw only to see it go to a kid in the secondary is frustrating! But I dare say the true problem is how ridiculously easy cpw has made it to turn back tags fix that and I doubt it would still be a issue.

Last edited:
I have know doubt a few game the system I just wonder how prevalent it truly is? I wouldn't think hoards of parents are out there doing this just a select few. If that's the case then I believe it still does more good then bad. No system is perfect and a select few will always find a way. I see real value in allowing kids first choice on the secondary draw! Especially in a day and age where if draw odds continue on the current trend it will allow them opportunities they literally may never have a chance at again. I get it applying for a tag and not drawing in the main draw only to see it go to a kid in the secondary is frustrating! But I dare say the true problem is how ridiculously easy cpw has made it to turn back tags fix that and I doubt it would still be a issue.
But seeing 20 point tags go to kids with minimal skin in the game vs guys who may have also never hunted elk also but have invested cash and have time. Kids got time on their side to hit a good tag, joe 50 year old not so.

Kids don’t need a 20 point tag to get involved or stay connected to hunting.

Kids don’t need a 20 point tag to get involved or stay connected to hunting.
I could say the same about Joe 50 year old. The chances of hitting a good tag in a true preference point state like Colorado (for elk,deer,pronghorn) becomes less likely by the year. How long would it take someone who just got their first point to hunt unit 2 or 76? Would they ever catch it? One difference between Joe and those kids is if Joe would've prioritized hunting in his younger years he would've been able to draw some amazing hunts or some hunts that now take a 5-10 years (Wyoming general) every year for decades maybe both. Also there is no guarantee Joe has anymore time left then those kids tragic things happen everyday.

“Skin in the game… time, cash”.

Whats jr got invested?

Why is one demographic deemed entitled with preference to these tags? Participation trophies ring a bell?

“Skin in the game… time, cash”.

Whats jr got invested?

Why is one demographic deemed entitled with preference to these tags? Participation trophies ring a bell?
Jr has the rest of his life to invest.

Because when preference points were started they weren't born and the primary draw gives preference to those who were alive and buying points and the system is now so clogged and backed up they literally will never have the same opportunities as those who already "invested". Sense preference is given to old timers in the primary draw don't see what the issue is with giving youth preference the second go.

Hoping but also realistic that my wife’s max moose points might get zeroed out with a tag today.

Good luck everybody including @Dinkshooter who I think may be in for same tag.

Anyway look forward to seeing how HTers fair in the moose/pronghorn/elk/deer draws over next few days. Heck bear too I suppose but we give away two bear tags with every vehicle registration it seems.

Post ‘em up. And for the geeks in the room share the time stamp of CC hits or emails if so inclined.
Just got my moose tag in area 171 after 15 years. Didn't get my elk or pronghorn. If anyone is familiar with 171, I'd take advice.

Y'all got me going down a real rabbit hole looking at some of the more epic application failures. Here are some of my favorites

PoInT CReEp 💹InCollage_20230604_060751459.jpg

When you find out someone with 16 pts applied for your dream cow tag and you have 22 points in the hopper.
Screenshot_20230604_060047_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I call this one "hold my beer..."
Screenshot_20230604_055758_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

In case they're a member of hunttalk here's a link to the definition to the word second https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/second
Screenshot_20230604_055850_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

leftover
noun
left·over ˈleft-ˌō-vər

: something that remains unused or unconsumed
Screenshot_20230604_062430_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I started to add in the incredible either sex and bull tags these could have drawn, many with ease! But that was just getting way too depressing.

Y'all got me going down a real rabbit hole looking at some of the more epic application failures. Here are some of my favorites

PoInT CReEp 💹

I started to add in the incredible either sex and bull tags these could have drawn, many with ease! But that was just getting way too depressing.

I saw similar things for moose tags. One unit had a cow tag drawn out at 3 plus zero, and another tag drawn out at 3 plus 20. It's not like there were a ton of applicants and the weird draw process came out in favor of the zero point guy. There were 12 eligible applicants for 5 tags.

PoInT CReEp 💹View attachment 278578

When you find out someone with 16 pts applied for your dream cow tag and you have 22 points in the hopper.
View attachment 278579

I call this one "hold my beer..."
View attachment 278580

In case they're a member of hunttalk here's a link to the definition to the word second https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/second
View attachment 278581

leftover
noun
left·over ˈleft-ˌō-vər

: something that remains unused or unconsumed
View attachment 278582

My feeling is these folks have to be aging out and just want a “easy” cow hunt.

Moose shows the same thing.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back