2017 Wyoming advise

bjrhomebrew

Hi,

I am trying to hammer the details of a hunt we are planning for the 2017 season. It will be a rifle hunt and there will be 5 of us total but the main goal of the hunt is to give my buddy's son his first taste of the west and hopefully get a goat or 2. Based on our average points I have narrowed our hunt area to the units: 25,26, 30 and 34. We are hoping to do this DIY public land but could be open to trespass fees ect. We have never hunted Wyoming before so if anyone could give me any insight or at least tell me if i'm looking in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Look into areas with leftover tags. We hunted leftover tags this year and had a blast plenty of goats if you dont mind boots on the ground.

can you buy a preference point (to save for a later hunt) and still buy a leftover tag to get out in the field this fall?

can you buy a preference point (to save for a later hunt) and still buy a leftover tag to get out in the field this fall?

Yes. If you want to hunt though, a better option is usually to apply for a tag and then also put down a 2nd and 3rd choice. Your 2nd and 3rd choice units do not use points. Most tags are gone after 2nd and 3rd choice.

Even if you have 0 points, you have a chance at drawing any tag because of the random draw.

Leftover tags are getting harder to come by and sell out quick. I wouldn't count on them for a party of 5 guys.

Leftover tags are getting harder to come by and sell out quick. I wouldn't count on them for a party of 5 guys.

This.

Also, look at the draw chances with no points or one point and focus on those units. Then, decide which has good access to public land. I would not even worry about trophy potential etc., as all units produce big bucks at one time or another. I would even go so far as to say put in for does on the first round and save your points for a return trip in a higher-demand unit.

Hunting does you will fill your permits and have just as much fun, while learning the ropes of a western experience.

Yes. If you want to hunt though, a better option is usually to apply for a tag and then also put down a 2nd and 3rd choice. Your 2nd and 3rd choice units do not use points. Most tags are gone after 2nd and 3rd choice.

Even if you have 0 points, you have a chance at drawing any tag because of the random draw.

^ this because of

^ this.

A hunting pard and I took our boys to 26 in '14 and I wouldn't take a youngster there again. The appearance in a Gazzetteer (sp?) is deceiving because the vast majority of the public land is locked up by lack of public roads. My buddy's son got a good representative buck and my son missed one but the hunting was difficult due to the tiny pieces. The OnXMaps chip in my GPS made that hunt, but like I say it isn't anything I'd use to introduce a youngster to the west.

Sbhopper makes a great point about saving points and getting doe tags. I did that last year w/ a good buddy and it was a hoot. Tent camping on public, taking my Prius (don't laugh!!), and eating Mountain house we had less than $300/ea into the whole thing 2 doe tags, food & gas included.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back