Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2017 Cow tag

mbotkin

Just wanting to get a few opinions for a solo hunter 50 years old. Looking to plan a diy in either Colorado or Wyoming. What are the pros and cons of the two and what areas of either state would I want to begin my research?

Not the best in physical got an injured foot due to a car accident several years ago I've been ok on several antelope hunts but they didn't seem too hard

Colorado has the largest elk population of any state and manages its elk hunts less so for trophy animals and more so to create opportunity for hunters. That is where I would probably start if I didn't already have a friend who was managing most of my hunts for me already.

Either way time in the field will be your best friend.

Best of Luck

No I don't have any points in either Wyoming or Colorado. If Colorado becomes my choice for a cow tag then look at the NW corner of the state for a late season cow hunt to better my odds?

That why I was asking. Unfortunately the better cow hunts take 2 pts. I would look to WY for late season cow without any points. Their antlerless tags are on a straight random draw (type 6, 7)

Ok time to do some more work, draw odds for some areas I hope would have some cows in both states and public grounds

Listened to the podcast today while at work and it has me thinking about trying to draw a cow tag for this fall in WY.

By 4th season, elk should be migrating from GMU4 to GMU3. Routt NF will usually be snowed in pretty good by then.

I'm from Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming is about as far as I want to drive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back