Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2016 DIY Bear Hunt

ManEatsWild

Hello all. This is my first post on HT. But Ive been a fan of OYOA and FT for years. I have been a hunter and fisherman my whole life. I love cooking wild game meat, elevating it and using it in ways we don't normally think about. I like to inspire others to make great wild meals. You can check out my Instagram account @ManEatsWild to see what I'm about if you want.

So with the introduction out of the way, I'm hoping some of you could help get me pointed in the right direction. Last year my brother and I decided we wanted some bear meat and we started looking into bear hunts. We were going to go with an outfitter, but really that's not our style and we really can't afford it. So we decided upon doing a DIY hunt somewhere where we can camp out and keep it on a shoestring budget. We also figured that we would start learning an area that may be good to come back sometime for elk, mule deer or what have you.

Initially we are thinking southern Colorado, near Trinidad because I've seen some beautiful bears that came out of that area. Also we are out of Kansas City, MO so the drive would not be too bad. Is the San Isabel National Forest good for fall bear? Any other public areas around there that are worth looking into?
Maybe there is a better state or area we should be looking at?
What states have OTC bear tags?

Really any help or advice you can give me would be much appreciated

Happy Hunting

California, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Arizona have tags that are widely available in the west. (The complete guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game by Steven Rinella.)

Spot and Stalk - I would say Colorado (I lived in Steamboat for a while and the bears live in the city) Steamboat, Vail, and Aspen get numerous bear complaints each year. Montana would be another good place, a guy at work bagged a big old boar in Montana this year.

Bait or Hounds - I would say Idaho. 2 reduced price bear tags in some areas and the country can be steep and thick in places. Spot and Stalk is possible, but it will depend on the area.

Alaska is probably the best place out of them all, but travel is a big cost of the adventure.

Wyoming has a female quota in areas, so if the quota is filled then the hunt area closes to take of bears.

I lived in Arizona, but never saw any bears though I was in the desert, so someone else can answer this state.

No Idea about bear hunting in Washington, California, or Oregon.

Welcome to the forum. Trinidad is about an hour south west of me. I know there is a ton of bear complains in the city and a bunch of bears getting hit on 25 going south towards New Mexico and on Raton Pass. I've never hunted down there, so I can't help you in that aspect. I do know there's some good elk hunting to be had down that way too, if you had the money to do a combo hunt while you're out here, if you chose Colorado. But, I would never pass up Montana and the opportunity up there either. The non resident bear tag is a fair price, they do a great job with their fish stocking program, and you can usually pick up leftover deer and elk doe and cow tags for cheap if money if an issue. Plus, a bear tag in Montana allows you to hunt spring and fall (if you don't fill your tag in the spring) if you can swing 2 trips out west. Spring is a great time to hunt bears in Montana on logging roads where the green grass is sprouting in areas where the snow pack is pushing back. Heck, you might even shoot a bear while you're cutting firewood...stranger things have happened :D

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am definitely wanting a spot and stalk. Not really interested in hunting bears over bait. Especially the shoot them while their head is in a trash can kinda hunt. I really want the hunt to be part of the trophy if you know what I mean. @TheDude it looks like there is a good availability of tags for the Steamboat area compared to where I was looking. Are you familiar with the hunting pressure around that area? Is the terrain suitable for spot and stalk? What type of public land is around there?

I'm also hoping to do a DIY spot and stalk bear hunt one day. Great info in this thread.

Oregon has some great Spring bear hunting. Some OTC, some easy draw and some that take a few points. All fall hunting is OTC.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I am definitely wanting a spot and stalk. Not really interested in hunting bears over bait. Especially the shoot them while their head is in a trash can kinda hunt. I really want the hunt to be part of the trophy if you know what I mean. @TheDude it looks like there is a good availability of tags for the Steamboat area compared to where I was looking. Are you familiar with the hunting pressure around that area? Is the terrain suitable for spot and stalk? What type of public land is around there?

Routt National Forest has a bunch of public land. The hunting pressure for bears in minimal, but given that elk and deer archery/muzzleloader/rifle season is at the same time there will be hunters around in each season.

The Steamboat area has a ton of elk and thus a bunch of elk hunters, but not a lot of people target black bears there.

You can access the national forest from the Steamboat Side or the Walden side.

The terrain is mixed there are some places where a still hunt is the only way to hunt it and other areas where spot and stalk would be a good option.

If you aren't afraid of driving a bit farther, I'd look into the Gila National Forest of New Mexico. There are plenty of bears for a spot and stalk hunt, and you'll be hunting in an absolutely amazing and beautiful area. You'll be sure to see elk, deer, quail, turkeys, and other wildlife down there. If it wasn't a 25 hour drive from my place in Minnesota I'd be planning a bear hunt down there for sure! Everyone should experience the Gila at least once!!

Western Montana is good for spot and stalk. Some people hunt old gated logging roads that are grown over with grass, while others hunt more of the deep and steep cliffy stuff. I'd talk to Gerald Martin or Theat on here if you want more info. Those guys are some pretty amazing bear hunters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back