2015 First time DIY opinions wanted

ksbow

Okay guys originally posted last year planning my first DIY hunt but did not start in time planning looks like two of us are going to plan back pack/truck camp hunt for 2015. I have a lot of info on Colorado, but feel like I am leaning toward Wyoming or Montana for first hunt. Any chance of drawing in descent unit in Wyoming first year as non-resident DIY? Any suggestions on units? Pretty good idea of where I would go in Montana if that is the route. Also considering applying in New Mexico as well? Any thoughts or recommendations on Draw in Wyoming or New Mexico for first time applicant would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, if any one would like info on Archery Hunting some public tracts in Kansas for Whitetail have done quite a bit and could point you in right direction.

You could possibly draw the WY general elk tag the first year. It's a great tag, both in terms of long seasons and huge amount of ground to hunt. Good luck.

If you have good info on Colorado and Montana, I'd probably try for some premium tags in other states and then fall back on one of those two if you are unsuccessful. You could try for a good Wyoming unit (very slim chance) and if you don't draw put in for a great New Mexico tag (also slim chance).

If you are set on Wyoming you could put in for the special draw with a general tag as a 2nd choice and a LE tag as a first choice. At least for the past few years, this would guarantee you a general tag and give you a preference point. But, it's not cheap.

If I were in your shoes I'd shoot for the moon in NM for sure, and then head to Montana with a leftover tag.

I drew a great NM tag this year, my first ever applying. So, while it's very unlikely, it's definitely possible to draw there. The hunt was absolutely incredible.

Back