Caribou Gear Tarp

2014 Mule Deer??????

NH546

Hey guys we've finally made up our minds and have decided to chase mule deer next year. We were going to chase elk however we figured we would start out with something more manageable to get out of the mtns this being our first time out west. It will put us on a nice learning curve. So my question is what state? Draw, OTC, Public land, and definately DYI. We are looking to hunt in an area that is somewhat open. Coming from NH where you can't see 30 yards down range we want to hunt in a lot more open terrain. No truck hunting, No atv parks. SO can anybody recommend a state and possibly narrow down an area (not a drainage) just geographic area that would give us that bcak country experience for mulies. Thank you in advance guys
Dennis

Try Nevada, and area 101-108 archery. It is a relatively easy area to draw. You can hunt back country you can hunt from town. Couple of different options. It is some rough country but it is open. You will see lots of different animals in the area as well from mountain goats to elk and deer. Used to see a lot of big horn sheep but there was a big die off a couple years back. Randy has hunted the area as well and may be able to give you some first hand info on the area too, also there are some more guys on here that live and hunt in the area that may be able to give you some info. Good luck

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not sure if we are going to go archery or not. We've been going to Ohio for the last seven years and we are really hoping to take out rifles for a walk.

Idaho has a lot of OTC tags in a lot of units. Think if you see one you can take a bear or cougar (maybe wolf?) with your deer tag. Gives you a lot of options, now if the wolves left a couple of critters alive, we'd be in good shape.

Wolf is a separate tag in Idaho, but cheap enough to get one "just in case".

NW CO. Get a cow tag. I am always amazed where I see elk. Why would you want to avoid the mountains?! The rockies are my favorite place to be!

I don't want to avoid the mountains I just don't want to be hunting in super thick forests.

Idaho has a lot of OTC tags in a lot of units. Think if you see one you can take a bear or cougar (maybe wolf?) with your deer tag. Gives you a lot of options, now if the wolves left a couple of critters alive, we'd be in good shape.

Because I'm greedy, I always wish there was more game BUT the wolves left plenty of game alive. Get out of the truck and hike. Idaho is a great place you can get your feet wet because you can guarantee yourself a tag. All fall I had elk, deer, bear and wolf tags in my pocket at the same time and have either filled or had chances to fill ALL of them. I'm no expert hunter either. Any NR can do the same just by stopping at wal mart on the way to camp. For your first trip out west I'd try CO elk, ID deer, or leftover wy lope tags. After you get a taste in your mouth then you can get started with points in wy and co. PM me with any questions, I can get you pointed in the right direction.

What weapon?

Montana is an easy draw, but it will take some work to find a quality deer. You can draw Wyoming rifle within a couple years. SE Idaho has over the counter tags, and the potential for great big bucks.

Nevada rifle is a tough draw.

There are a few wildly open units in Idaho that are general OTC tags, there are some you can do both deer and elk at the same time... With 1 PP you can draw a general deer tag in Wyoming I think, there are places in Wyoming for elk in the wide open with a PP, good luck
Matt

Tw, it's nice to hunt with a pocket full of tags. If I get to put the time in, you're right, the odds are pretty good I can fill them, even with the wolves around. Like everywhere else, if you park the truck and walk, the animals you see go up substantially.

Idaho was great this season numbers wise, but good luck killing anything impressive for mule deer. Most really nice bucks are coming from the Owyhee area right now(units 40,41,42) and Elmore(45). Also most tags that are OTC are not in the rut so most bigger deer are still up high and not moving around.

So I would say MT. I am probably a little bias since I live here but, we have decent amounts of deer, and since it sounds like you guys wont mind walking you should be able to go home with a decent representation of what a mulie is. Also the three areas I would say are SE corner of the state, the breaks in central MT and sw MT. all have ok populations you are probably going to be able to draw a =general tag with no trouble and if you like to walk then I think it would be a good choice. just be aware of land ownership and public access points.

My vote for first trip out west would be Wyoming antelope. Lots of tags and some sure bet draws for WY antelope, but if you are set on deer the guys have already given you some good advice.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back