2014 Colorado OTC Archery Elk

Jimmy G

Hi all, just looking for a little advise and assistance. Me and my 13 y/o son are looking to do an over the counter archery elk hunt in Colorado this year. I have bow hunted Utah and Idaho with some success, but areas I used to hunt are not what they used to be. This will be his 2nd year hunting and would like to have a good experience with him. We would like to hunt the western side of the state so we can make 2 or 3, 5 night trips if needed. We plan to camp out of a trailer and hike from there or drive as needed to get around. I am looking more for quantity than quality. Just looking for an area that we can hopefully see some elk, even just cows or small bulls, every day to have a chance at. Some units we are thinking about are 70, 62, 30, 31, 32, 21, 22, 11, and 211. We could go further east if needed but thought we would start there. If anyone has any info or might have room in their camp for a couple more, let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just looking for an area that we can hopefully see some elk, even just cows or small bulls, every day to have a chance at.

I'd like to know this as well!!!! Just FYI......"Every day" that's gonna be a hard find.....IMO.

Just out of curiosity, are you a resident of Utah? I would save yourself some serious dough and just hunt your resident state. Success rates are probably going to be about the same. OTC archery elk in CO is pretty tough, and you can expect success rates in the 10 to 20% range. However, that being said, hunters can, and do, take elk in every single unit you mentioned above. Units 70 and 62 will probably have a higher density of elk, but the other units will provide a hunter with more visibility as they are more desert/pj type country. Hope this helps and good luck.

Yes, I am a Utah Resident, and have hunted elk here. The archery season ends either Sept 12 in general areas or Sept 5 in limited entry units where you can shoot a spike or cow. This is the reason I have gone elsewhere in the past and trying to figure something out again.

Unit 70 and 62.

I have hunted both during rifle seasons. Never during bow season. In 70 you might try lizard head wilderness for high hunting or mailbox park for pin ions and cedars. In unit 62 we hunted near short point and monument hill. Good luck.

I hunted unit 70 the last two years, although vehicle trouble cut the days I could hunt last year. There will be a lot of hunters everywhere you go, but last year there seemed to be less than the year before, A couple of years ago there was a herd that would bed in the canyons below Wilson Meadow and come feed at night in the meadow. Last year they were not there, my guess there was less hunting pressure and they didn't get pushed into the deep canyons, but who knows. In addition to lizard head you may want to try the area around Lone Cone, the last two years I have always found sign everywhere i went in the NF between between Lone Cone and Lizard head.

Last edited:
You guys think Lizardhead Wilderness is country for a 13 year old boy? Never been in there, but it sure looks rough and 11,000+ feet.

Well, when this 48 year old man goes hiking with his 13 year old son, one of my concerns is being able to keep up with him.

One time when I had hiked the trail from the trailhead near the highway I passed a family coming back to their vehicle. First the Father and Son then about 5 minutes later the Mother and Daughter, the Daughter was around 5 years old. I asked the little girl if they had gone all the way up to the tippie-top and the Mother told me they had hiked to Wilson Meadow. Granted that's on the trail, but it is a 6 mile round trip. I think most 13 year olds can handle it, they just have to be careful when they get off the trail.

Back