2014 Alaska Moose

Never used an outfitter. This disaster makes me not want too. I have to believe 99% are better than this guy.

Kudos, for thecrittergitter standing up for himself. Proud of you. Thanks for exposing frauds for other hunters.

Same here.
I have only used outfitters where required by law ( Mexico 7 times ) except for once I did a SD spring snow goose hunt. I don't like others being in control of my hunt. A moose hunt for me DIY is too big a task.

It's actually up to #3 already. #5 is a 24hourcampfire post that takes a couple pages before it goes south.

I think we need to reference AK Trophy Hunts a few more times because this thread is only #7 on that search with the 24hourcampfire thread #6.

I don't understand all this talk of where there is smoke there is fire, this whole thing seems like a raging inferno to me. I just can't understand how stuff like this goes on without any violations being handed out when some dude from Minnesota gets his elk confiscated for waiting 30 minutes to attach his tag. Even in Alaska you regularly hear of guys getting fined for not taking all the rib meat and things like that but this guy seems to be made of teflon.

Last edited:
Never used an outfitter. This disaster makes me not want too. I have to believe 99% are better than this guy.

Kudos, for thecrittergitter standing up for himself. Proud of you. Thanks for exposing frauds for other hunters.

Thanks bobbydean! I definitely don't want to see someone save their whole life for a dream hunt, only to have it be a miserable experience.

I will say for the record, there are some GREAT outfitters out there! I have done two brown bear hunts and a sheep hunt with another outfitter up in Alaska and his the polar opposite of this.

So, I want to be clear this isn't an all outfitters are bad explanation. It's actually unfortunate that the good guys have to compete with guys like this.

The guy I sheep hunted with at Jonah's Alaskan Outfitters, manages his area and hunts very well. Takes 5 to 6 sheep hunters per year and has a guide established and planned for each hunt. Also has sat phones and aircraft radios for every person in the field for safety reasons. Tom didn't have any communication with anybody he dropped unless by chance the hunter brought a spot or delorme inreach. Tom's only communication with the outside world was his email. Any bad injury at this camp would likely be the end for someone if they didn't have their own safety device.

Tom had over 40 guys this last season alone, not all hunting sheep, but most, and killed 14 rams. Should pretty much destroy the sheep population on his own if left to continue.

I don't understand all this talk of where there is smoke there is fire, this whole thing seems like a raging inferno to me. I just can't understand how stuff like this goes on without any violations being handed out when some dude from Minnesota gets his elk confiscated for waiting 30 minutes to attach his tag. Even in Alaska you regularly hear of guys getting fined for not taking all the rib meat and things like that but this guy seems to be made of teflon.

I know of 3 moose for certain, 2 caribou for certain, and at least 1 Sheep that are sitting in the confiscation room at AK Fish and Game due to illegal take or waste of meat. And I know because mine and Harolds are two of those and we would like them back.

I'm pretty sure the end is near................;)

Heck, I thought I was pretty easy on Tom in the original story but since he and Louie decided they would challenge me and ask to prove it..................well, ask and you shall receive:)

I'm a little surprised ol Larry from the other forums hasn't piped up yet........I'm ready Larry:)

Has anyone approached the Alaska Dispatch News or locals TV station about this? I think they'd eat it up, considering the inaction of the state thus far.

Will "airing" this information impact the trial, if there is one?

Has anyone approached the Alaska Dispatch News or locals TV station about this? I think they'd eat it up, considering the inaction of the state thus far.

Will "airing" this information impact the trial, if there is one?

I don't think anyone has, but I have copies of 6 letters that went to the Commercial Services board from hunters, and guides/packers......I won't post them here just to protect them but all 6 have all the same complaints..

I think the hammer is getting ready to swing;)

Great job on keeping all of your documents CC. Very inportant lesson for all of us. I guessing Tom is doing a lot of heavy drinking right now.

Yeh no doubt ; ya wouldn't have been catching me taking a selfie
Of a check I wrote?!
You a smart man and even smarter hunter CG!
You out-whit everything with four legs.
And most that have two!

Great job on keeping all of your documents CC. Very inportant lesson for all of us.

Yes i agree, i started taking pictures and photo copies of documentation i need to fill out for all hunts, and they are self guided. You never know when you might need it and how it will help.

CG im glad you have kept good documentation, it certainly paid off. I hope you and your buddy get those moose antlers back and the outfitter get his deserves. Such a shame about the meat waste and the other hunters having such a bad experience.

Nothing short of being a rip off, the way those hunts were/are conducted. I had a look at his website, and certainly not a lot of dead animal pictures for his length of operation.

Big win for the good guys by the looks, keep us updated.

I usually take a lot of pictures, especially of carcasses. That way if the meat quantity or anything like that is ever questioned, I can show them that the even the birds were pissed when we left:)

I usually take a lot of pictures, especially of carcasses. That way if the meat quantity or anything like that is ever questioned, I can show them that the even the birds were pissed when we left:)

Yes, I always take pictures of carcasses and bones before leaving the scene.

Kudos to you for standing up for yourself and respectful hunters.
Shame it happened the way it did. Best of luck to you in your dealings.

Hmm... Sure got quiet from the Alaskan rebuttal side. Must have struck a nerve.

So...Bottom line, do you think you will be able to drop the hammer on these dirtbags or what? mtmuley

Hey CG, I feel bad for you. You seem to be a real stand up dude and a very good hunter as I see it. I cannot even imagine the range of emotions you had to have felt. From early disappointment to elated when you and your good friend managed an incredible DIY moose hunt. All that to be taken away from you by the total disregard of the outfitter. Then to be called a liar, frankly the whole thing gets my blood boiling (would like to describe it in less appropriate fashion but will refrain). And I have no way of describing my feelings about all that wasted meat and lives for that matter.

At any rate, one heck of a good story (the good side) and congratulations on a job well done given the circumstances or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back