Caribou Gear

2013 Wyoming elk

BuzzH

Another Wyoming elk season is in the books.

Hunted with a good friend from Montana and some older guys that I was fortunate enough to run into and become friends with several years ago.

Opening day was a little "off" with only 2 of 8 tags filled, one by my bud from Montana and the other from my friend Jerry. I passed a decent bull right at daylight, as well as some cows/calves and 2 other bulls.

Jerry folded a cow with his .243 and nosler partitions right at daylight opening day. I asked him how many elk he's shot with his .243...he said, "Well, at least 30...no, wait, it must be more than that".

The second day started much better, within the first 20 minutes of light I saw probably 40 elk scattered over quite a bit of country. I decided to hunt lower and got to a great glassing spot. I didnt see anything right away and started glassing distant ridges, seeing elk in nearly every opening I looked into. I looked back below me about 140 yards away and there was a cow standing on the edge of the timber. I looked it over for a long time and thought I'd fill my cow/calf tag. I figured I would hunt the same area each morning and just take a load of meat out at the end of each day. I took a good rest over a rock with my 7-08 and 140 accubonds and shot. She gave a good kick, ran about 30 yards and started swaying around and crumpled. I could hear several elk leave in front of her and also watched as 2 cows and 2 calves walked up where she'd been standing and started looking around. I watched them for about 30 seconds and from behind them out walks a 5x5 bull. I figured what the hell, and jacked another shell into the chamber and using the same rock, shot him quartering away at about 170 yards. He damn near went down on impact, but regained his footing and scrambled 100 yards and piled up. I had 2 elk within 60 seconds of each other.

At the end of the third day, 6 of 8 elk tags were full and the other guys are still up there hunting...I suspect the last 2 are probably done by now.

Anyway, a few pics. Apologies for the crap pictures. I have 3 cameras...2 are completely dead and the one that "works" is blurring the right side of all my pictures (that may be a good thing;)). Time to get a new camera before I head to Colorado.

Cow:

IMG_0458.JPG

Bull:

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

My pal Jerry, still killing elk and hauling elk quarters out of the Wilderness well into his 70's...

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

Last edited:
Good job Buzz. Gotta love chasing elk with a little snow.

Great job on the lopes too. Never got to post on there.

That 7-08 is a little killer. Makes me smile. Placement and shooting skill will trump size EVERYTIME.

Good luck in MT. Half of my volleyball crew is done for the year. Mule deer better be on high alert next week!

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Your a killing machine. Glad to know there is hope for me yet if a guy in his 70's is still at it.Thanks for the pics.

Cool stuff, with the outcome I expected. Your pal Jerry is my hero. Congrats to all.

Congrats all the way around. Looks like almost a perfect amount of snow to hunt in, although it's a little early in the year for my taste. Packing out elk when you're in 70+ is awesome

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back