Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2013 Fresh Tracks White Board

Dune-StillSuit-Movie-Prop-Costume-Restoration.jpg

DUNE.jpg

Maybe you should get yourself one of this nifty little outfits.

Well, got the call from Steve. Lyme disease has him and his lead field producer, Dan Doty, in a bad way. They are both hit with this crazy disease and the AK blacktail hunt has been cancelled.

Dang, I was looking forward to notching a tag on Sitka Blacktails and hanging out with Steve and his crew for a week. Steve and I will make up for it next year.

So, I am now moving my NV archery deer hunt up a couple weeks. I have been doing everything time allows in my effort to get some redemption on those NV deer. Headed out for another hot hike this afternoon. Last year's NV deer hunt was the most painful and disappointing hunt of my life. Not going to repeat that experience this year. Now, if I can just solve the way to stay hydrated while being on a liver med that is a borderline diuretic, hot August hunts will get a little more tolerable. A guy can only carry so much water.

I have some good leads of where to look for bucks on this hunt, thanks to some friends in Elko. Last time I hunted the area was with a rifle when I was a resident in 1989. If anyone has some good ideas they want to add to my map as places to check out, feel free to send a PM. I am talking about NV deer units 071-079.

If you are in the area, feel free to stop by our camp. For those of you with elk tags in those areas, send me a PM and I tell you what we see during that week of deer hunting.

That's too bad it got cancelled, now you got time too stop by Idaho on your way back too hunt some over the counter deer or elk :D, that is after you shoot a big buck in Nevada,
Matt

Awesome lineup. If I draw a mountain goat tag, I'll let you know!

How about a 2014 lineup?

On the left is what we have so far. On the right also includes those we think will most likely draw, based on the points in Wyoming. Idaho deer/elk/prong is unlikely, given the areas I applied for, as is Montana moose/goat/sheep. The ones marked with a (2) are the hunts we will try to make into two episodes, though that seldom happens.

IMG_2830.JPG

Kudos to you on that, and previous year's, whiteboards. Though I'm not jealous of the expense, work, and hassle of putting out a show like you do. I'm immensely jealous of the number of adventures you go on every year. Well done on the life planning!

Kudos to you on that, and previous year's, whiteboards. Though I'm not jealous of the expense, work, and hassle of putting out a show like you do. I'm immensely jealous of the number of adventures you go on every year. Well done on the life planning!

X2! Hopefully when I'm retired, I can have a whiteboard like that each year... Until then, I'll have to settle for 1-2 adventures per year and live vicariously through guys like you, Fin.

On the left is what we have so far. On the right also includes those we think will most likely draw, based on the points in Wyoming. Idaho deer/elk/prong is unlikely, given the areas I applied for, as is Montana moose/goat/sheep. The ones marked with a (2) are the hunts we will try to make into two episodes, though that seldom happens.

View attachment 41533

you should still put Idaho up there, lots of great OTC tags and the second draw up coming in August, unless you drew of of those hard too get tags in the first draw....
Matt

View attachment 41533
Randy--

Any reason why you don't chase pronghorn in your home state of Montana? Tags are relatively easy to draw, lots of public access, and with long seasons that may help fit into your schedule...

And you have said many, many times on air and on here about how much you love chasing pronghorn;)

Your annual NM antelope hunt is always great to watch!

Randy--

Any reason why you don't chase pronghorn in your home state of Montana? Tags are relatively easy to draw, lots of public access, and with long seasons that may help fit into your schedule...

And you have said many, many times on air and on here about how much you love chasing pronghorn;)

Your annual NM antelope hunt is always great to watch!

I have not drawn pronghorn the last three years, taking that option off the table. Even if I draw this year, odds are we would not film it, as we have two, possibly three other pronghorn hunts on the ever-evolving schedule. And we would be finding out of the tag results so late, it is not possible to get it on the schedule.

States that draw late, specifically MT antelope and ID deer/elk/antelope, are always getting left over treatment in our show planning. Not because we want to treat them that way, but when you have to start scheduling six months in advance for cameras, travel, filming permits, etc., it is easier to focus on the tags you know about as early as possible. That gives WY, AZ, NM, NV, CO and MT deer/elk an advantage when we are doing our planning.

I get a lot of ID guys asking why we are never in ID. It is mostly a function of the tag drawing schedules. I cannot hold off on applying in other states, under the expectation I will draw something in ID. If so, I could end up without enough tags. By the time ID comes around, I have pretty much planned to have all the tags we need, resulting in ID apps getting used for tough-odds hunts.

Same theory applies for MT antelope, when the drawing doesn't happen until the last ten days of July. Just not enough time to juggle the schedule and make it work, as the schedule is already 99% locked in as of about a month ago.

Now, if AZ sends me a desert bighorn tag next week, the schedule will get changed. :D

I get a lot of ID guys asking why we are never in ID. It is mostly a function of the tag drawing schedules. I cannot hold off on applying in other states, under the expectation I will draw something in ID. If so, I could end up without enough tags. By the time ID comes around, I have pretty much planned to have all the tags we need, resulting in ID apps getting used for tough-odds hunts.

Makes sense. I think that's a reoccurring issue for many NR's that apply in other states that want to hunt Idaho.Hopefully one of these years you can sneak an OTC hunt in your schedule. As behind only Montana, you can not beat Idaho.

Season length? Only Montana has longer.

Willing to archery deer hunt? 10 week season.

Tag Availability? The easiest state to get a tag for ANY species for a NR.

OTC bull elk in the rut with a rifle? Only Idaho that I'm aware of.

The most quality deer being taken on tags that anyone can buy at Wal-Mart on their way to camp? Idaho again.

Make it happen Randy :D

I have not drawn pronghorn the last three years, taking that option off the table. Even if I draw this year, odds are we would not film it, as we have two, possibly three other pronghorn hunts on the ever-evolving schedule. And we would be finding out of the tag results so late, it is not possible to get it on the schedule.

States that draw late, specifically MT antelope and ID deer/elk/antelope, are always getting left over treatment in our show planning. Not because we want to treat them that way, but when you have to start scheduling six months in advance for cameras, travel, filming permits, etc., it is easier to focus on the tags you know about as early as possible. That gives WY, AZ, NM, NV, CO and MT deer/elk an advantage when we are doing our planning.

Same theory applies for MT antelope, when the drawing doesn't happen until the last ten days of July. Just not enough time to juggle the schedule and make it work, as the schedule is already 99% locked in as of about a month ago.

Now, if AZ sends me a desert bighorn tag next week, the schedule will get changed. :D

First off, I thought I had bad odds only getting an antelope tag every other year as a MT resident....

I know you're aware, but 900 series is pretty good odds... just restricts to archery only.

Second, I have never understood MT on when they draw antelope. That is the tag which the season opens first (900 series beginning August 15th)... but they wait and draw it last (week of July 21). It has always boggled my mind why MT does this. As a resident it is frustrating, for nonresidents I am sure it is a complete turn off... how can someone plan with only three weeks head start once you are notified you got the tag---

I understand why you don't now--- With your schedule/filming/planning in advance leaves no room for the mt antelope---

p.s--- I really wanted to sit on some county road watching you do the "Be the Decoy" to some wary Central MT buck:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back