Yeti GOBOX Collection

2013 Fresh Tracks White Board

Didn't know you had an interest in Oregon blacktails. I've been at it since about 1962 and its still not a guaranteed thing for me. Weather and a rifle season that closes too early can work against all the plans and knowledge one has going.

I drew a cow tag for 3rd season
When I inquired about buying aOTC bull tag I was told
I couldn't do that

It depends on if you drew a cow tag that falls in the A or B category. As I understand it, and not have the CO regs in front of me, if it is a B category, you can then get an OTC bull tag. If the cow tag is in the A category, you cannot get an OTC bull tag.

I am sure some CO guys will clarify that, if my memory is wrong.

Randy, I'm waiting for you to come back to ND and do a hunt when it's not -20 below zero!

I will be back, some day, when it is not -20F. With Climate Change underway, that temp increase might happen before I die.

Also, the other little hang up is that tag issue. ND is getting pretty hard to draw. Damn TV guys are messing that up. :eek:

Didn't know you had an interest in Oregon blacktails. I've been at it since about 1962 and its still not a guaranteed thing for me. Weather and a rifle season that closes too early can work against all the plans and knowledge one has going.

You know, I have had that bug for a little while. About 40 years, since I first read about blacktail hunting in my Dad's Field and Stream magazine.

It won't work this year, as the November schedule is a mess. But, it will get on the schedule pretty soon.

It depends on if you drew a cow tag that falls in the A or B category. As I understand it, and not have the CO regs in front of me, if it is a B category, you can then get an OTC bull tag. If the cow tag is in the A category, you cannot get an OTC bull tag.

That is correct. The regs indicate whether the tag is A or B right next to the hunt code.

i sure hope the az coues hunt works out. I know you will do that hunt justice. if it does you'll definitely be spending a lot of time down here this fall. good luck!

I drew an A tag so that the reason I can't get an OTC.
Thanks for the info.

You know, I have had that bug for a little while. About 40 years, since I first read about blacktail hunting in my Dad's Field and Stream magazine.

It won't work this year, as the November schedule is a mess. But, it will get on the schedule pretty soon.

Are you thinking rifle season, muzzleloader or late bow when you do it? There is a really good muzzleloader hunt that can be drawn with one point.....you might consider purchasing one if you don't have any and you want to get after them next year. Points are available all summer.

Bucks like these are nocturnal until the muzzleloader hunt starts...

Awesome! The Steve Renella one should be good, after reading "American Buffalo" I have a much better appreciation for that man.

That is correct. The regs indicate whether the tag is A or B right next to the hunt code.

Thanks for helping me pull my head out of my ass... Time to put that cow tag back in the mail. :eek:

That looks like a pretty awesome line up!

Any plans to hunt western kansas any time soon again? I always enjoyed those shows quite a bit.

Crossing fingers that the Wilderness permit works out.........that would be a sweet episode.

I'm going to kill another wolf this winter, one way or another...........I'm hoping to have some good leads by the time your wanting to get the cameras going....

WOW! You and Rinella hunting together. I cant wait.

Well, got the call from Steve. Lyme disease has him and his lead field producer, Dan Doty, in a bad way. They are both hit with this crazy disease and the AK blacktail hunt has been cancelled.

Dang, I was looking forward to notching a tag on Sitka Blacktails and hanging out with Steve and his crew for a week. Steve and I will make up for it next year.

So, I am now moving my NV archery deer hunt up a couple weeks. I have been doing everything time allows in my effort to get some redemption on those NV deer. Headed out for another hot hike this afternoon. Last year's NV deer hunt was the most painful and disappointing hunt of my life. Not going to repeat that experience this year. Now, if I can just solve the way to stay hydrated while being on a liver med that is a borderline diuretic, hot August hunts will get a little more tolerable. A guy can only carry so much water.

I have some good leads of where to look for bucks on this hunt, thanks to some friends in Elko. Last time I hunted the area was with a rifle when I was a resident in 1989. If anyone has some good ideas they want to add to my map as places to check out, feel free to send a PM. I am talking about NV deer units 071-079.

If you are in the area, feel free to stop by our camp. For those of you with elk tags in those areas, send me a PM and I tell you what we see during that week of deer hunting.

Back