MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2013 Elk Hunting

Yotkilr

A buddy and I are hoping to try elk hunting for the first time this year. We are hoping to get MT general elk/deer combo tags, and want to go during the archery season to be able to hunt the rut and hopefully not as many people. So far are research has lead us to region 3 in the Gallatin National Forest. Just looking to see if anyone has hunted that area and could give us any pointers or advice. Thanks in advance.*

I'll start by saying I haven't hunted there in the past couple years....but have spent quite a bit of time in the Gallatin Canyon and south of Big Sky. Big thing to watch out for is getting into any areas where 4-wheelers are ok. I'm not against them, but they can really jack things up for an elk hunt. Swan Creek comes to mind, had some runs ins there. Spent lots of time in Moose Creek drainage off of the canyon, numbers wise never saw a great amount of Elk, but it's easy to get into, and you can drive quite a ways back, which = loads of people.

I've also spent quite a bit of time South of Big Sky towards the park. Used to be great bow hunting that way, but I've heard the elk have been hit pretty hard that direction (up against the Yellowstone NP buffer zone). Someone else might be able to chime in there (wolves?).

My suggestion would be to pick an area with great trails access, and get back in a few miles if you're looking to avoid the crowds.....

I'll start by saying I haven't hunted there in the past couple years....but have spent quite a bit of time in the Gallatin Canyon and south of Big Sky. Big thing to watch out for is getting into any areas where 4-wheelers are ok. I'm not against them, but they can really jack things up for an elk hunt. Swan Creek comes to mind, had some runs ins there. Spent lots of time in Moose Creek drainage off of the canyon, numbers wise never saw a great amount of Elk, but it's easy to get into, and you can drive quite a ways back, which = loads of people.

I've also spent quite a bit of time South of Big Sky towards the park. Used to be great bow hunting that way, but I've heard the elk have been hit pretty hard that direction (up against the Yellowstone NP buffer zone). Someone else might be able to chime in there (wolves?).

My suggestion would be to pick an area with great trails access, and get back in a few miles if you're looking to avoid the crowds.....

Has anyone seen a wolf elk hunting in September? Wonder if it would be worth picking up a wolf tag since they dropped the price?

Also is it beat to avoid area around the park due to wolves. Would the west part of region 3 be better?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back