2012 Elk Meat Pole

Khunter

Might as well start a thread to drop some pictures from our elk hunts? Do not figure every bull, mine included, needs its own thread...

This little bull thought he was "The Man" cruising in alone on a big herd of about 80 elk that held even smaller raghorns plus cows/spikes. Total pandemonium from that group for about 30 minutes at a range of 50-200 yards out in a meadow.

This bull came in alone and bugling, from behind me right at the buzzer (tail end of legal shooting light). His bugle sounded like what you would expect from a spike for about 20 minutes right up until he had come in closer to about a hundred yards and was ready to make his move on the herd, then it was a pretty dominant bugle that made me reposition about 10 yards 'just in case'. First popped out from behind a cedar at 50, and I let him stroll in to 40 yards and stop broadside before letting arrow fly. He was fixated on the herd and never knew I was kneeling in front of him with no cover as I was swapping from binos to rangefinder to drawing my bow.

Bull wrecked a fence in first 30 yards and only made it perhaps 100 before tipping over.

Love the thirds on this bull and the fronts are pretty nice as well for OTC Colorado. Private land, no trespass fee.

Have been watcing these elk pile off of steep BLM lands onto this ranch in the evening for awhile. Landowner was gracious and offered to let me park on their land to access BLM. And then said " I know the kind of person you are and know you will do right by us, 'If you see something on my place that you like--take it'. I never even asked for access but was instead looking for a deer voucher, which they did not have.We got to talking about all the elk and deer running about their place and they just offered when they realized I was an archery hunter and knowing they never have anyone hunting that season.

Pass on this bull every time and every year during most hunts, but not this year. This one exceeded my expectations for the areas, public and private, that I was hunting in a few westren Colo counties. Funny how each season can bring vastly different goals, each equally as fulfilling as the previous.

Attachments

• KirbyArcheryBull2.jpg
    KirbyArcheryBull2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,417
  • KirbyArcheryBull3.jpg
    KirbyArcheryBull3.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,560
  • KirbyArcheryBull4.jpg
    KirbyArcheryBull4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,432
Nice Bull, and nice of them to let you hunt their place.

I just got back from idaho last night. Spent 12 days sleeping in a tent hunting 2x a day. Unfortunately i came back empty handed, but I chased a lot of bulls, saw a ton of big bulls but was never fortunate enough to arrow one.

I found that they weren't rutting at all, barely bugling and still bachelored up. I was able to pattern a group of 4. So i hiked in and set up outside their bedding area 45 yards and watched them come in and lay down. The weather was hot and wind was swirling and it didn't take long to get busted.. it sucks but what can you do? This was on public land

Meat pole....you must be from Bowsite. All they ever do over there is talk about meat poles. Sorry dude, not my thing.

Congrats, nice Bull

And another congrats on getting access, thats a rare thing in this state anymore, especially on property that has elk on it

Congrats on a nice bull!! Nothing like lucking into some prime private land. I'd consider it a privilege just to get the opportunity to cross their land, let along be able to hunt. Very nice.

Congrats on the bull. I was up in Nat'l Forest all weekend and didn't see a single elk. Didn't even hear bugles. I wasn't elk hunting, just scouting.

Meat pole....you must be from Bowsite. All they ever do over there is talk about meat poles. Sorry dude, not my thing.
That's funny right there!

That is a great bull as far as I am concerned. Good job on getting the access. Obviously, you found a real good landowner. They are not always like that.

Well done on the bull, with some luck the rancher got a feed of elk as well and you might get the green light to head back again next season for a hunt with the bow.

My appeciation will be expressed by assisting when they have a herd of gun hunters on the place during first rifle season. Apparently the owner does 'everything' solo for his hunters so he will have some help some evenings and the weekend--I had exchanged in my limited 1st season rifle elk tag to get this OTC archery tag so have a bit of time.

Come on guys lets see some other animals. This is not "my" thread. Gotta be some archery hunters tagging out.

Heading up to the forest for last 5 days of the season to chase deer.

Meat pole

Well, due to a little more college, football, and kids- didn't have time to archery hunt. Dad got a black powder tag and we decided to go out for the weekend. Heard the worst bugles in my life on day 1. Found out there were 8 guys on the mountain- in the same group. They bugled about every 5 steps. Before dark, saw a few elk heading into NF from the private- so we decided to head back the next day.

Got in early and found some elk, but they moved on us. Later that day, heard some more lousy bugles. Figured it was the same group of guys. Went to check it out and saw elk. Dad sneaked up on them and made a great shot. Got to camp at 11:45 that night. Decided to drive home, pick up the horses and pack him out- and that was one of the best weekend trips I've ever had.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 546
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back