2010 Whitetail

Ben Lamb

Headed down to a little valley somewhere in MT a week or so ago with some friends looking to fill our b tags on grain fed whitetail does and managed to get on to a place that sees little pressure. My father was able to join us. This was the first time that he and I have ever hunted together. Typical of a lot of families, he grew up thinking that hunting was what you did to put meat on the table, not to have fun, and when he got to a point where he didn't need to hunt for table fare, he quit. Store bought meat was viewed as social standing, and when you could afford beef, you were middle class. So, by the time I came along, he hadn't been out in quite a few years. I can only remember him bringing home an pronghorn doe once, and then he quit altogether.

He's been suffering some health problems lately: lost his right leg below the calf, still has back problems, plus we lost mom a few years ago after a long battle with ALZ (he was the primary care giver), etc so this was a pretty special time for us. He walked a couple of miles each day, slept like a kid, and had a good time. He didn't connect on his doe, but loved to be out, hunting again.

We were sitting in a little bowl, about 2 pm, while some friends worked the brush along the river bottom about 150 yards away. I had set my rifle down, and was anxious to have a doe bust through so the old man could connect and bloody his new rifle, an Alex Henry 450/400 BPE double that he'd been fawning over since the summer. He made a slight noise, and motioned to the brush, right at the time this little buck busted behind us. I was lucky enough to hit him on the run at about 100 yards, and dropped him hard. Given my poor shooting on any other day, this was pretty good shot, and I doubt I could repeat it. haha.

He's not a toad buck, just a nice fat youngster, but I was able to spend 4 days running around MT with the old man, when we could forget all that has happened in the last few years and just have fun, that makes this one a trophy for me.

154936_1673748094232_1553332333_1616677_3824606_n.jpg

He's not a toad buck, just a nice fat youngster, but I was able to spend 4 days running around MT with the old man, when we could forget all that has happened in the last few years and just have fun, that makes this one a trophy for me.

Absolutely awesome! Grats on a "trophy" for time shared together - and a nice buck to boot!

Good stuff! Grats!

Congrats, Ben. Something tells me the memories with your Dad are for sure the trophy of that hunt, even with a great buck like that.

Thanks guys. Hopefully this becomes a ritual for us.

Had some of the buck the other night for fajitas and he's just like most other grain fed, river bottom whitetail - incredibly delicious. Also made some italian sausage with the scraps. That'll make the winter that much more bearable.

I'm down to my general elk tag, so I might head out tomorrow and try for a bull, but this season has already been a fantastic one.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back