2009 ND Archery Mulie - The Headache Buck

Buschy

Two out-of-state elk hunts this fall cut deeply into my ND mule deer bowhunting. I only hunted one weekend the entire fall before the early December hunt with Big Fin. After five days of enduring the brutal weather conditions and listening to Big Fin and Photo Fin rave about the “tropical weather” and endlessly debate the merits of living in ND :rolleyes:, I decided I needed to thaw out and regroup.

I went out to the Badlands again the weekend before Christmas. I tried a new area and saw good numbers of deer and bucks. I worked on one nice buck for five hours on Saturday and made two stalks, but could never get closer than 120 yards. Sunday was a complete bust with thick fog all day and no chance of spotting anything.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

This weekend was the end of the ND archery season so it was time to get it done. The Badlands just received 18 inches of snow and lots of wind in the storm that hit most of us over Christmas. Add to that a balmy 28 below zero temp :eek: (before you factor in the wind chill) when I got out of the vehicle on Friday morning and the hunting conditions were less than ideal! The only good news was the extreme cold and snow made it necessary for the deer to work hard at finding enough food and they were actively feeding most of the day.

IMG_0023.jpg

First off, the bigger bucks that were laying low while Big Fin was here must have heard he left the country after tipping over one of their brethren and felt it was safe to show themselves again. It was great seeing some of the better deer and I made two stalks Friday morning, but couldn’t connect. While slogging back to my vehicle after my last failed stalk, I looked into the bottom of a draw and saw a smaller 3x4 all by himself feeding in my general direction. I dropped off the butte I was on and got the wind in my favor. I got a big juniper between me and the buck and looked down into the draw. The buck had moved next to a large sagebrush and was standing in the sun chewing his cud. I watched him for a few minutes and decided he looked quite comfortable and wasn’t going anywhere fast.

I made a quick loop around him and peeked over the edge of the butte he was standing below. He hadn’t moved and didn’t have a clue I was there. My rangefinder read 41 yards with a very steep downhill angle and I nocked an arrow. Though it was cold, there wasn’t a lot of wind and therefore very quiet. As soon as I touched the trigger on my release the buck heard the noise, instinctively dropped to the ground and spun away. Fortunately for me, my arrow went right where I was aiming, high on the chest and behind his front leg. Unfortunately for the buck, as he dropped and spun to the left his head got in the way of the arrow. My first thought was ""Ouch :eek:. I bet your going to feel that in the morning"!! The arrow hit him dead center in the back of the head, between the ears, and he went down like a sack of potatoes!! Now I need all the help I can get and bucks who choose to stick their heads in front of my arrows are always welcomed.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

I have always said any spot and stalk mulie buck with archery equipment on public land is a trophy. This buck is no exception. Considering the challenges of deep snow and frigid weather conditions, I will remember this buck for a long time. I have been blessed to hang my ND archery tag on four mulie bucks in as many years. Next year I will have more time to dedicate to bowhunting mulies and will be looking for another bruiser, but if the end of the season rolls around and I find another buck like this I will be happy to go after him. Especially if next year’s buck is as willing to run into my arrow as this year’s was!!

Notice my good luck “Michael Jackson” glove I got some much crap about in December from Randy and Troy. I would be willing to bet Randy is wearing a similar pair next year!!:D

IMG_0020.jpg

I might mention Grizzly drove out to the Badlands today, as it was the last day of the season and he still had his tag. We hunted together all day and he has a bloody arrow in his quiver. He should be making a post shortly. :hump:

Last edited:
Congrats again...man you know how to fuel that archery hunting fire!! Next year can't get here soon enough!

Any pics of the back of the head where the arrow hit?

That's pretty awesome to stick it out through those conditions and make it happen.
Congrats

congrats Buschy. haven't decided whether you are dedicated, or nuts? -28 without the windchill? thinking nuts as living near chicago I know about the "hawk". looks and sounds like another great hunt for you. love it when you get it done with the bow. may have to try those "type" deer one of these days.:D but first have to get a lope with my bow. already planning next falls hunt. DIY of course.:D

Congrats Buschy. You sure earned that one.

But as far as this comment is concerned.
Notice my good luck “Michael Jackson” glove I got some much crap about in December from Randy and Troy. I would be willing to bet Randy is wearing a similar pair next year!!

Not a chance. I would go barefoot on that hunt, before I would wear one of those gloves. :D

Well done Buschy! Congrats on a fine trophy. Muley1 and I were out this past weekend as well, the conditions were brutal. I wish I would of had a pair of those snow shoes like you used.

great! and just when I was starting to think you may be a mere mortal bowhunter since you had not posted.

What are the odds I recognize that bare peak behind you and your buck? All that badlands country looks alike but it does look like a spot we were near.

So lets see that entry hole. Did the arrow stay in him or blow through or bust off?

Bout time you stoppped screwing around out there and put something on the ground:D

We ran into a couple local ranchers out there who talked of the legendary one gloved bowhunter. They mentioned he didn't show up till after June 25, 2009:D

Khunter,

I didn't take any pics with the arrow lodged in the skull. The arrow went in the base of the skull and the tip just started to come out above the left eye. I had to tug a bit, but the arrow and broadhead all came out intact.

I have only used Rocky Mountain Snyper 2-blade expandable broadheads the last five years and have always said they are the best I have ever used. They have proven to be absolutely devastating on everything I have shot at from coyotes to elk and most everything in between. This was confirmed again when I pulled out the broadhead and it was in perfect condition with no bent or broken blades. Not even a chip on the blade?? These broadheads are put together well if they can take that kind of punishment.

Your right, that country does all look alike. I did hunt the spot you guys were in right before Christmas and saw some nice deer, but shot this one about 10 miles NW of there. I was just out exploring and found some deer!

Khunter,

Your right! Looking at the pictures again, that bare butte looks identical to the one where you guys were hunting. Good eye.

Last edited:
Now that looks like a really good way to spend time over the holidays. I typically just eat, drink, and sit on my butt. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back