Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2004 SD rifle hunt

mtmiller

Time to chase some SD whiteys. I had not been back to Sturgis since April, so I had to visit over toddies with some buds. One thing lead to another and I didn't get home until 3. At 5:15 the alarm sounded and I crawled out of bed.

As the sky was catching color, I had a 4 X nothing walk to within 50 yards. Obviously not a shooter, but a little excitement none the less. An hour later, we located a shooter buck. My hunting partner had seen this buck the week before, so I wached him put on a perfect mile and a half sneek. He was held up by a couple of does, but when the nervous buck got out of his bed, he dropped the hammer on this nice buck. He has shot bigger deer over the last couple years, but was very happy with this guy.

P1040514_007.sized.jpg

A few hours later, we found another shooter buck. He was nervous, but had about 10 does in the area that were unaware of our presence. After 30 minutes, he finally relaxed and started chasing one of the does. At this point I decided it was time to make a move.

We put in a sneek of about 400 yards and a belly crawl for another 100. Suddenly he appeared a mere 70 yards from my location. Because of the topography, I had to drop the bipod. I could only see his head and throat patch, so with only a couple of seconds to get the job done I centered the cross-hairs on the white patch. He was dead before he hit the ground. The shot was perfect, but lead to some bloody pictures (sorry about that).

He is a 6X5 with a couple of junk points on the bases. Not a monster, but my best whitey to date. It was a good day with two nice bucks taken by good shots after great sneeks.

P1040543_004.sized.jpg

P1040544_004.sized.jpg

howdy naghbor i grew up in sundance and did alot of chasing girls in sturges and spearfish back in the late 70's and early 80's.
nice bucks wish i would have done that good this year. there is always next year.

Back