17 Colorado Deer Pts.

konasage

So here is the big squeeze, I have 17 pts and a fairly good idea where I should go but I know a lot of you also have quite a bit of experience in the woods and are saving points for your honey holes so I don't want those. Just looking for areas I may have overlooked that have increased in quality over the past few years.

I was thinking about RFW but you can't scout those and it still feels odd to think about. Maybe not, does anyone have any experience with Trinchera Ranch or Burns Hole Ranch?

Like I said, don't want your "spots" just some fresh ideas to kick around. I am looking forward to getting a good one to stare at me from the living room. I need to get out from under these points and start hunting like a normal person again.

Thanks

Thanks Dink, Not sure about Trinchera but still a bit leary of RFW. I want to be able to scout the country and have an idea going into it, also would like to go set up the wall tent and do it right. Even if you have to use that as a spike camp and hike in with camp on your back. I have hunted Elk in 61 but have never seen the quality of deer to justify using 17 pts. I have not been there late in the season structure so I am not sure what shows up around 3rd park or by the river late. This is going to be a wild ride i can tell.

Last edited:
Never hunted the unit myself, but I know that unit 21 has been turning out some major bucks the past few years. Seems like a good place to do it on your own, too.

Never hunted the unit myself, but I know that unit 21 has been turning out some major bucks the past few years. Seems like a good place to do it on your own, too.

I hunted in 21 the 2010 season and 4 points were too many to burn for it. My boss hunted in this last season and he would agree

Now back in 2004 when I hunted there it was a whole lot better, but not now

I used my 13 PP's on 61 last fall on a Muzzy Buck tag & saw some real dandy's. I'd not hesitate to go back in a heartbeat. Very little pressure during muzzy season, can't say about the rifle seasons.

Woods, How did the hunt turn out? I Love that country and have heard of some real stinkers coming out of there. Just talked to the Bio and I guess they might not do 4th season this year due to ratio concerns? All good info though...

There is no hunt in the state worth 17 points, so you'll have to just pick a good hunt and go have fun.

Thanks Oak, I know what you mean... the more points, the more pressure. I wouldn't mind seeing some new country but ultimately your right. If you think of anything different, I would like to hear your opinion. Maybe I will p.m. you later... how did the sheep move go?

I was going to say the same thing Oak said, but I didn't want to add to your pressure! I hope you have fun!

Can't you guys split points up and only use what you need for the tag? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Not in Colorado. I can't remember which state was allowing that, but I imagine someone will chime in with the answer.

Colorado allowed "point banking" for one year only, which allowed for applicants to keep additional points they had above "minimum required plus one". So if a unit took 8 points to draw, you could keep anything above 9 points.

Thanks to all for your input... guess I'll just keep biting my nails until the answer hits me.:) Any other advice is surely welcome. Thanks

If it was me... I'd burn them on a high country early season rifle hunt. The weather will be nice, the chance at a great buck is as good as any hunt. You won't have to rely on the weather to get the rut going and you'll get to experience something completely different I'm sure.

I don't have as many as you, but have enough to pull a lot of 'quality' tags, and just can't find the time to go. I'm thinking a HC deer and a muzz elk are in my near future though.

Good luck on your research, hope you get a crack at a good one.

GMU 22, 4th season. Very limited tags 4 or 5 for the entire unit.Talk with the local Game Warden out of Meeker about the size of the bucks taken each year during that season. Personally I have seen quite a few bucks well over 30 inch's and a few closer to 36. Only problem is drawing this tag unless you have mega points. Check out Rio Blanco county road 3 . lots of area and it is a wintering area for both deer and elk. But the huge bucks seem to come out right after the 3rd season. I have hunted this area for the last 8 years, and will do so again this coming hunting season.

Back