Yeti GOBOX Collection

104 Pound Coyote

Have a lease member swearing he saw a wolf thru his spotter at 600 yards. Yep, sober and adamant about it. I asked the area GW honcho about em & he says there ain't any this side of western NM.

GW said, "Shoot it."

Need MTMiller or someone who is in the bio type business to weigh in on the DNA thing. I have long been told that a wolf and a Jack Russel Terrier have the same DNA, canine.. Sorta like humans, DNA won't tell you if someone is black, asian white, or whatever, just human. I personally don't know but have been led to believe that the DNA thing is not the excacting science that the media, (or law enforcement) leads us to believe. Anyone got any real facts on the subject?

Need MTMiller or someone who is in the bio type business to weigh in on the DNA thing. I have long been told that a wolf and a Jack Russel Terrier have the same DNA, canine.. Sorta like humans, DNA won't tell you if someone is black, asian white, or whatever, just human. I personally don't know but have been led to believe that the DNA thing is not the excacting science that the media, (or law enforcement) leads us to believe. Anyone got any real facts on the subject?

Agree it would help to have a bio such as MTmiller weigh in though regarding the exacting science re: law enforcement, it is as close to exact as science has available... The DNA structure is unique to each person such as fingerprints... though much more specific.

As for the DNA more or less identifying a human vs a kangaroo... I would be interested in some professional comment.

I've heard rumors of other state biologists being very happy to have large coyotes shot, keeps the feds from declaring them protected.

Here is my understanding:
With DNA they aren't looking at the whole DNA code if you will...just a piece. If the piece of DNA from the big "coyote" matches a piece of code from a regular coyote you say it is coyote related...and there is some kind of confidence interval involved. If you keep reading more code then eventually you can match it up more closely. All you have to do is look at the piece of DNA that matches a coyotes and get a positive match then stop looking and start declaring you have a coyote. This should buy you enough time to get rid of any additional evidence you need to rest assured you had a great coyote hunt.

Here is my understanding:
With DNA they aren't looking at the whole DNA code if you will...just a piece. If the piece of DNA from the big "coyote" matches a piece of code from a regular coyote you say it is coyote related...and there is some kind of confidence interval involved. If you keep reading more code then eventually you can match it up more closely. All you have to do is look at the piece of DNA that matches a coyotes and get a positive match then stop looking and start declaring you have a coyote. This should buy you enough time to get rid of any additional evidence you need to rest assured you had a great coyote hunt.

Now that.... is pure wisdom... well done :rolleyes:

Sweetnectar, I looked into the DNA testing quite a bit today and think you hit the nail on the head!

Seems like they can get whatever results the customer wants and it also looks like it is not at all what you would call an exacting process. I am however very pleased with the results from the lab that tested that wolf, er coyote, er, dog looking thing.

If these large coyotes are shot about 9 inches behind the ribcage, they can run off, hide, and die without causing a lot of controversy. This is accepted practice in the ranching country of northern Minnesota Where large coyotes roam from the lake of the woods area. Just an Idea, but it works in Minnesota. Cal

Have a lease member swearing he saw a wolf thru his spotter at 600 yards. Yep, sober and adamant about it. I asked the area GW honcho about em & he says there ain't any this side of western NM.

GW said, "Shoot it."

Too many G&F field people don't spend enough time in the field. Our state biologists swear that there aren't any cougar in Eastern NC, but I have three relatives who have seen them in the river swamps, one as close as 30 ft. These are God fearin', Bible totin' deacons in the church, and I'm obliged to believe them.
And by the way; that's a wolf, or possibly a coyote/malemute cross.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back