Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Coyotes what are they thinking and why

AjaDog

Hello everyone, hope somebody has a answer to the question I'm about to ask, I felt like over the years I had become quite knowledgeable on behavior and patterns with coyotes, I'm not so sure about that now, on 2 separate times a coyote has came up within 15 yds of my back porch, that's not what is odd, I have a female friend staying in her camper, both times this yote has came with in 15 ft of her with my German shepherds through out my place, even though they're kenneled, I have never known for them to be this brazen especially not in a pack, rabies was and still is a thought just wondering if anyone could help me out with this issue at hand

Many questions. Are you sure it’s the same yote(s)? Were your pups loose when this happened? Packs from what I know are more brazen than singles. We have LOTS of yotes here in Vegas, they’ll take your pets right out of your yard if you don’t watch out.

Many questions. Are you sure it’s the same yote(s)? Were your pups loose when this happened? Packs from what I know are more brazen than singles. We have LOTS of yotes here in Vegas, they’ll take your pets right out of your yard if you don’t watch out.
Well after Chic came in and told me about it I did just that I went and checked my kennels to make sure one of my knot heads didn't dig out they were all in place I didn't actually see the first one but the second one I got a glimpse of it going off into the woods I don't know something awful strange about this dog to come up into broad daylight but no none of my dogs were out at the time

This. They probably come through regularly and have figured out your dogs' limitations. No yote is going to mess with a German Shepard. They lose that 10/10.
That's exactly what I thought but I mean it'd be one thing if my Shepherds went out there and walked into an ambush with pack or whatever then my German Shepherd being a bad situation but this is just one single and I don't know if there was others in the woodland that I did not see or he's acting on himself

That's exactly what I thought but I mean it'd be one thing if my Shepherds went out there and walked into an ambush with pack or whatever then my German Shepherd being a bad situation but this is just one single and I don't know if there was others in the woodland that I did not see or he's acting on himself
I'm going to take some of my trail cams to set them up in proximity to the area where they're at or the one was at try to get a time frame when they're showing up so I can get a rifle scope on them but hell as far as that goes I can kill him with shotgun that close

This. They probably come through regularly and have figured out your dogs' limitations. No yote is going to mess with a German Shepard. They lose that 10/10.
Yeah they don’t mess with critters that have bigger teeth than they do.

Yeah they don’t mess with critters that have bigger teeth than they do.
But I have noticed throughout the last couple weeks my shepherds are really going bananas out there in their kennels and I'm pretty sure it's because of the coyotes I mean I have my place lit up like a football field out here in the middle of nowhere at night time I have lights on all my kennels so I just stretched it all thinking it was something freaked but now I'm starting to think that they're barking at the dogs the coyotes they might be after the hide and the head and what was left of that hog that I skin out and butchered up last week cuz I took it in the backfield and threw it up in the burn pile

I let me dog out the front door last year and there were 4 making their way down the street. 3 bolted and 1 stood there and looked at me for about 5 secs before my dog saw him. That was all he needed before following the other 3. These are city yotes. They do the same routes all week every week. Never shot at and they still avoid confrontation, particularly with a larger canine. If you had food nearby, I suspect it changed their patterns.

I let me dog out the front door last year and there were 4 making their way down the street. 3 bolted and 1 stood there and looked at me for about 5 secs before my dog saw him. That was all he needed before following the other 3. These are city yotes. They do the same routes all week every week. Never shot at and they still avoid confrontation, particularly with a larger canine. If you had food nearby, I suspect it changed their patterns.
Probably so I killed about a 90 lb hog last Saturday night and a skin it out Saturday but I butchered it Sunday and I took the hide and head and all that and threw it in my burn pile about 80 yards in my field that I have not burnt yet I was trying to hold off till deer season is over Jan 1

But I have noticed throughout the last couple weeks my shepherds are really going bananas out there in their kennels and I'm pretty sure it's because of the coyotes I mean I have my place lit up like a football field out here in the middle of nowhere at night time I have lights on all my kennels so I just stretched it all thinking it was something freaked but now I'm starting to think that they're barking at the dogs the coyotes they might be after the hide and the head and what was left of that hog that I skin out and butchered up last week cuz I took it in the backfield and threw it up in the burn pile
You should try rigging the kennels doors on a contact switch allowing you to spring the doors open on the yotes. They’ll be less of a problem I’m thinking.

You should try rigging the kennels doors on a contact switch allowing you to spring the doors open on the yotes. They’ll be less of a problem I’m thinking.
That would be a thought but it would have to be my two males which they are meanest ones I got anyway, I don't want to jeopardize any of my females cuz I feel like breeding them again I want them to be okay I've quit breeding right now it's too much working a full-time job taking care of this place doing it all by myself and I ain't no damn spring chicken anymore

We've had a small pack of three in the neighborhood for several years and just this year I got a pic of what I assume is the alpha female with two juveniles in a friend's back yard. She feeds deer in her back yard and usually gets one on camera 3 times a week and occasionally two might be traveling together.

Back in the summer I happened to have just gone out the front door when all three cut across my front yard as close as 10 yards or so. I noted the time and was sitting out there in the dark the next night when they came through again. This was a departure from their usual route so on night three I was out with a loaded pellet gun and right on queue they came through with the black male as close to me as 7 yards or so. He got a pellet to the rump for his trouble and I haven't seen them since.

We've had a small pack of three in the neighborhood for several years and just this year I got a pic of what I assume is the alpha female with two juveniles in a friend's back yard. She feeds deer in her back yard and usually gets one on camera 3 times a week and occasionally two might be traveling together.

Back in the summer I happened to have just gone out the front door when all three cut across my front yard as close as 10 yards or so. I noted the time and was sitting out there in the dark the next night when they came through again. This was a departure from their usual route so on night three I was out with a loaded pellet gun and right on queue they came through with the black male as close to me as 7 yards or so. He got a pellet to the rump for his trouble and I haven't seen them since.
I have a crosman F4 one pump pellet rifle and that thing's got $1,250 ft per second muzzle velocity if you hit a coyote in the right place I'm pretty sure you could kill the damn thing it would have to be an eye shot ear shot something of that nature but I've killed a bunch of squirrels with mine just goofing off I got thousands of squirrels around this place I live at those pellet rifles are pretty accurate I took the scope off of my 30-30 which was a weaver scope and zeroed it in that pellet rifle mine it's it's dead on but yeah I know they have their routines and their creature of habit I guess I have a week off for Christmas from work and I'll get my nose to the grindstone on this issue I got going on here but thanks for replying man

I would say not to worry about it. When I lived on the farm I had them at the edge of the yard all the time. Even had one that hated to take a dump in the deep snow. Every morning as I would go to work I'd check my rearview mirror to find him sneaking down the trail to crap in my machine shed/lean too where it was dry.

Had them eating pears in the yard, twenty feet from the back door in the summers too. Put out a trail camera and found out all sorts of critters were in the yard at night.

And yes, I had a big dog at the time.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back