Yeti GOBOX Collection

10 mile hike in then a float out?

🤞I’m headed up to AK in 2 weeks plan is hike in 17 miles hunt then float out.

Then doing another trip 2nd season CO, couple mile float in, 4 mile hike into a basin, then pack down to the river and like 5-6 mile float out.

Point being nothing you’ve said even hints of unreasonable to me.

I've been thinking of float/paddling trips, it opens up a lot of opportunities. One obvious and easy example, a roadless area that has a shoreline which is only accessible by floating/paddling.

Sounds sweet to me. I've always wanted to do a float hunt. Can't think of a better way to get an animal "packed" out

Not sure a packraft will hold both all your gear and parts of an elk. I know when I used packrafts for an 8 day trip my gear weighed down the front pretty bad and everything got wet. Can't imagine putting part of an elk on one with my gear and expecting it to float.

I'm with others, this sounds like quite the adventure and if you are successful I definitely want pictures of an elk and your gear on the rafts as you float down!

Reactions: Hem
Not sure a packraft will hold both all your gear and parts of an elk. I know when I used packrafts for an 8 day trip my gear weighed down the front pretty bad and everything got wet. Can't imagine putting part of an elk on one with my gear and expecting it to float.

I'm with others, this sounds like quite the adventure and if you are successful I definitely want pictures of an elk and your gear on the rafts as you float down!

Did you load your tubes with all of your gear, and or where you using dry bags?

A number of people are using Alpacka Raft packrafts for hunting. We will be taking a forager and a couple of classic packrafts on our trip here in a couple of weeks.

alpackaraft_hunt on insta is a good source to get some ideas about how to use them for hunting.

There are also a number of forum members who have done similar trips, also @AlpackaRaft is always available to answer any questions or provide any tips and tricks.

I put a little info on this thread about a similar trip I did last fall for moose in Alaska.

Definitely possible for you as long as you are very confident that the river will have enough water to float with a heavy boat and/or that it is within your skillset. Those Alpackas are pretty tough, but can puncture on rocks and sticks especially if you are loaded down with a bunch of meat. I just got off a wilderness trip on the MF of the Flathead in the Great Bear Wilderness and both of us got major tears in our packrafts. Thankfully we were at the bottom end of the Spruce Park rapids so a tyvek tape temporary repair job got us out.

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_7634.JPG

You are definitely going to want the cargo fly system so you can put most of the weight in the tubes, but I would make sure that it is cold enough that the meat won't spoil, and well bagged enough that blood doesn't leak into the interior of the tubes. The last thing I would want is my raft permanently smelling like old blood.

Not sure where you are going, but if it is in Montana then I have my suspicions. If it is, and you want some river info, shoot me a pm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back