CO Unit 43

Jlgibbon1

Hello: Just looking for any elk hunting reports from unit 43 in Colorado. More specifically the NW corner near haystack gate. I'm headed there with a group for third season. Just curious.

Thanks and hope all have a safe successful hunting season!!

I scouted up at Haystack Gate area just a little bit on the weekend of 1st rifle. I didn't spend much time there, honestly, so I don't know how much sign is there- I was looking for a spot to glass from and wasn't finding what I wanted. What I can say is that it was pretty snowy there at that point but we haven't gotten much precipitation since and it's been pretty sunny so I'm guessing the snow has mostly melted, especially on south facing areas.

I haven't heard much in the way of reports from that area specifically but I live locally and know one outfitter's wife and I asked her what she has been hearing from him. She said her husband said that it's been a little slow overall. He has his main basecamp in a different area of the unit, though.

I've been scouting and hunting for 2nd season (unsuccessfully, so far, so take my info with a grain of salt), but based on what I've been seeing/hearing, I'm wondering if Haystack Gate area may be a little higher elevation than you want to be looking.

I know that isn't all that helpful, but good luck!

Back