Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Nebraska Elk

JMelby

Hello all,

I am in quite a bit of a pickle here. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would draw a Nebraska bull elk tag, but today I received notification that I drew a North Platte River unit bull tag. Because I wasn't really planning on drawing that tag, ever, I am so underprepared its not even funny. There is plenty of public ground in the unit (by Nebraska's standards that is) but even Game and Parks recommends hunting private land because that's where all the elk are. I'm not sure if anyone on here has ever hunted elk in Nebraska but I'm at a total loss for where to start. The unit is on the other side of the state from where I live so boots on the ground scouting and knocking on doors for permission isn't impossible, but inconvenient since I'm going to burn all my vacation just to hunt. I want to make it clear that I'm not looking for a handout or even complaining about drawing my tag, because I'm so excited about it I'm shaking. I'm just looking for some guidance as to where to start. If anyone has any pointers for Nebraska elk in general or if you have any experience in the North Platte River unit, I would appreciate it. I am the only one in my family who hunts so asking them for help is like asking one of my dogs. Hell, at this point I feel like I'm rambling so I'm just going to cut it off at that.

Thanks all,
Jake

I would recommend talking to folk at game and parks. Game wardens in the area, wildcat hills staff, etc.. They may be able to help you find a landowner to work with as IMO you will struggle to find elk on the public land that is available.

I have seen elk around Hemingford but many of those move between there and the Ash Creek units. Last time I drove between Scottsbluff and Lagrange WY on 88 I did see some elk but the public access in that area south of Wildcat Hills is limited. Never have seen elk at Crescent Lake NWR.

Best bet is to find a landowner who has herds sitting on his pivots or fields and complains to game and parks.

That's exciting. How many years did it take? This was my fifth year being declined, I'm scared I'll end up in your boat eventaully. Try asking on the Nebraska fish and game association fourm. www.nefga.org.

Days spent scouting would not be wasted. Nebraska elk don't get much pressure, so they're very patternable.

I would definitely get in touch with the private land owners and find out where the elk are - most locals are fairly good people especially knowing these tags are rare

Congrats on the draw, once in a lifetime for sure.

Thanks everyone. Been on the phone for the last couple days to no avail. The numbers game and parks gave me are all full up. Looks like it's public for me this year. Not really a big deal, just means I'm going to have to hunt that much harder.

This was only my second year applying for the tag. That's why I'm so unprepared. Never thought I'd even draw one.

Jmelby, there is a gentleman at my church that drew and harvested an elk two seasons ago. I will keep my eye out for him on Sunday's and see if I can get some information you.

I wouldn't give up just yet on lining up some private ground! Maybe talk to some locals in the area to see if other places are available. Although it would be very impressive to get one off of public land in Nebraska. Drawing a tag on your 2nd try is very lucky! I'm on my 4th year now to no avail...but it will happen sometime! Good Luck! Hope to see a successful harvest post this fall from ya!

Get in touch with a local RMEF group (local to the area you drew) and ask to present your case at a meeting (asap).

I lived in that area for a while, not trying to be a downer, but you need to get some private land lined up. I have seen elk on some public ground out there, but only in the summer by hunting season they are in the corn. There are some places that folks don't get locked up that have some elk but you need to get out there and get some places lined up because I do not know anyone that has pulled that tag (I've known quite a few) that has seen an elk on public land. I'd hate for you to go out and try to hunt the public and not see an elk nonetheless kill one. Find those places that the game wardens have told you to talk to and look at their neighbors, ask them. A lot of farmers hate the elk because they tear up the corn big time. Look at the land around the river and find some land with corn fields and start asking if they have elk.

Well I'm happy to say I was able to notch my tag on this amazing old heard bull with Heartland Pride Outfitters in Scottsbluff my first night out! Had an amazing experience!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180930_185257.jpg
    MVIMG_20180930_185257.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 824
WoW Congrats, Nice to see an update on the end results. Most people asking for help, don't return to update any results. Congrats again that's a very nice bull :) - ColoradoHunter719

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back