School/Mass shootings what's the answer?

Those LEO are going to have to live with their response to the shooting the rest of their lives and I for one don't blame them, more than likely it was through their training and leadership that failed them. Locally when a active school shooter exercise was held it was typical organized chaos among law enforcement, the sheriffs department wanted perimeter set up and then engage threat. Being an northern small border town we have a border patrol presence, their response was immediate entry upon arrival and eliminate the threat. Regardless of action reaction of law enforcement the shooter will have on average of 3 to 5 minutes of uninterrupted engagement of a unarmed building with controlled entry and exits, unfortunately regardless of the weapon used multiple people will die, and until people realize that only armed individuals whether that be a school security guard or a teacher with a ccw in the building this will continue regardless of our firearm laws, maybe those individuals may freeze or coward but they just might stop or at least deter the next school shooting, we already know what happens without them at least we could give it a try.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Norway

Anyone ever spent much time in Norway? Can provide any insights? I'm not much of a collector or shooter, so I read this and it sounds reasonable. Though I'm not sure exactly how it would stop school shootings, except put a few more hoops to jump through first.

I believe Norway has a higher rate of mass murders, per capita, than the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Norway

Anyone ever spent much time in Norway? Can provide any insights? I'm not much of a collector or shooter, so I read this and it sounds reasonable. Though I'm not sure exactly how it would stop school shootings, except put a few more hoops to jump through first.

Not only that though of our (U.S.A.) 330,000,000 people, other countries 1/66th the population, with strict gun laws have faced similar situations where the inhuman person found a way due to his will:

A chilling review of the Oslo and Utoya Norway murders: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-14260297

Finland: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7082795.stm

Finland again the next year: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/world/europe/24finland.html

Some want us to think it is an American problem because of our protected right to bear arms... yet, the populations of other countries hold an unquestionable statistic ... It is a mental issue of the person(s) not the weapon used by the mentally disturbed / wacked person...

...People look at these semi-auto weapons with big detachable magazines and wonder what the hell do we really need those for.
Sytes, I agree with Rob's statement. As previously expressed, I openly foster a bias against "assault" rifles and my small old military mind connects experiences and perceptions of those who shoot those weapons as wannabe soldiers who also embrace all the "extreme" risky activities, cool and evil looking rifles, the equipment, gear, vehicles, and paraphernalia as attempts to validate manhood. My advice to them is to step up, sign up, train up and participate in worthwhile constructive manly endeavors. At the risk of offending "assault" rifle advocates seen by Sytes as most of the hunting population and being labeled as "a messenger for a select group whether you like it or not..." I think that the "extreme" gun advocates are at the least a fraction of a bubble off plumb. 'Just my opinion ... fire away with large volume high-caliber return fire.

Rob, ban a firearm because... it looks evil... black?
There you go again my friend, winning an argument with a fictional person. As far as the effectiveness of shotguns, the shooters in Columbine killed 13 people between them and had the advantage of covering each other. This latest shooter killed 17 people and walked out the door undetected. The Las Vegas shooter shot 1100 rounds in 10 minutes using a semi-auto with clips (sic) and a bump stock, which if I'm to believe the you-tube videos, is something you can make yourself for about $20. There is no comparison in the potential for mass murder. You remember how Biden was crucified by the gun folks for suggesting a double barrel shotgun was the best defense weapon?

Seems your messenger service is focused more on magazine capacity. Not the firearm itself. So long as we have semi auto "hunting rifles", there will ALWAYS be a way for those with a WILL to inflict such dredded harm.
Yeah, that's why I've said the issue is with magazine-fed semi-auto guns and not semi-autos or black guns or "assault rifles" (whatever those are). BTW, blame greenhorn for the mag-fed thing... ;). Something has to be done about the access to these types of weapons. The public doesn't care if there are already allegedly 5 million of them already out there - that can be fixed.

But the proof is in the pudding. Trump wants to raise the age to own semi-auto weapons to 21. How ignorant is that? The gun crowd is in a precarious situation. In 2020 there is a very good chance you will have the Presidency and both houses controlled by democrats. These ignorant rules won't do a thing so we will see more of these shootings, the NRA folks will continue to say things like banning these guns is like banning spoons to prevent fatness instead of making intelligent arguments, and you will have some serious regulations that prevent ownership entirely. I sometimes wonder if the NRA really wants these things banned to generate more membership.

'Just my opinion ... fire away with large volume high-caliber return fire.

Agree. Once the dust settles, this thread will mosey its way down the list, we'll all be yammering and ogling over the hunt stories and pictures and those fishing pics as well.

The one aspect that is not opinion though are the statistical facts that hold no personality... only facts.

***That might just be some simunition rounds versus high-caliber though --- it is after all, just our opinions. :) Cheers for the conversations. :) Less others want to dig up comments and respond directly to a post of mine, I believe what has been said, has been said by all here ad nauseam.

I still remembers parts of the Anarchist Cookbook from 35 years ago so here is a throwback. To all those who claim the 2nd amendment is about protecting us from our own government, yet you try to discredit other people for using clips and silencers, you have not read this book and you are merely part of the phony militia. I say all of this with no seriousness whatsoever. ;)

Anarchist Cookbook.png

Last edited:
The one aspect that is not opinion though are the statistical facts that hold no personality... only facts.
Agree as a glittering generality. However when children are in danger ... emotion and opinion become the driving forces behind protective solutions and powerful political movement. Fact-find, pontificate your numbers and deliver sermons til the cows come home!

Agree as a glittering generality. However when children are in danger ... emotion and opinion become the driving forces behind protective solutions and powerful political movement. Fact-find, pontificate your numbers and deliver sermons til the cows come home!

Well, in addition to that, statistics don't necessarily support a lot of claims about gun ownership when you get down to mere lives lost vs saved with them.

Jezus BHR, I figured with nearly 650 posts without a personal attack you might have something worthwhile to say so I unblocked your post. I guess I'll check back in a few more months...

As far as the content of my comments, the majority of Americans think the "guns are inanimate objects so they shouldn't be regulated" argument is inane. Sorry, get over it, and don't kill the messenger. I mean, after the 9/11 attacks nobody blamed box cutters, but we sure as hell knew we could no longer treat them like butter knives. People look at these semi-auto weapons with big detachable magazines and wonder what the hell do we really need those for. Is the benefit worth the cost? And the gun lovers respond with stuff like guns don't kill people, people do. Libtard. Well, they aren't even part of the discussion of the changes in the works. Maybe it won't happen in this decade, but this situation with these semi-automatic weapons is not sustainable. Even hunters are gun owners are fed up with it. A couple more school shootings and the game will be over.

I couldn't agree more. As more and more kids, with access to social media and significant news coverage, grow to voting age with personal experience from school shootings, things are going to change whether we like it or not. We need to make sure we've involved in the discuss in some way. And like you said, being completely unmovable and resorting to insults and overly simplistic defenses is not going to help our cause.

POLITICS
LA TIMES
Trump says he would have rushed into Florida school without a weapon
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
FEB 26, 2018 | 11:15 AM
| WASHINGTON

1p3plo.jpg

I couldn't agree more. As more and more kids, with access to social media and significant news coverage, grow to voting age with personal experience from school shootings, things are going to change whether we like it or not. We need to make sure we've involved in the discuss in some way. And like you said, being completely unmovable and resorting to insults and overly simplistic defenses is not going to help our cause.

You might find this NPR article to be of some interest.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/24/5880...liberal-on-gun-control-than-elders-polls-show

The only thing that stops a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun.

I agree very much with what this guy said - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqJKChKRzI&app=desktop

Also, it's interesting that this article - https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...6e60e4605f3_story.html?utm_term=.fc807193e8ef - states, "Two days later, he debated whether he should attack his middle school, from which he’d been expelled, or his elementary school, just up the road. He decided on Townville Elementary because it was closer and had no armed security." So in this case, a shooter was deterred from a certain school due to armed security - seems like this might just be a little bit of a solution.

As a father of two young children, who will be entering the school system in the upcoming years, I will GLADLY pay a higher tax to cover the salary of an armed guard.

POLITICS
LA TIMES
Trump says he would have rushed into Florida school without a weapon
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
FEB 26, 2018 | 11:15 AM
| WASHINGTON

Cloning DJT and posting them outside of our schools seems like a viable option to me. He looks to be very brave, twitter is an effective deterrent.

Interesting the pick nitters that attack a comment made by our POTUS that states had he been present, he would have put his life on the line to save our most precious assets, our children. Makes me wonder about many here... If you had (or have) made such a comment... Or do you lack the huevos to publicly state YOU would have rushed in, placed your life on the line even if your child did not attend that school. I would in a heartbeat. I didn't vote for this POTUS though props to our President who would do such.

Last edited:
Interesting the pick nitters that attack a comment made by our POTUS that states had he been present, he would have put his life on the line to save our most precious assets, our children. Makes me wonder about many here... If you had (or have) made such a comment... Or do you lack the huevos to publicly state YOU would have rushed in, placed your life on the line even if your child did not attend that school. I would in a heartbeat. I didn't vote for this POTUS though props to our President who would do such.

If you really believe what Trump said I feel sorry for you. I've also got a bridge to sell you.

bridge-for-sale.jpg

Last edited:
If you really believe what Trump said I feel sorry for you. I've also got a bridge to sell you.

Feel sorry all you want. ;) To question what another would do if children lives were on the line... That's your perogative.

Would you? Silence is sure deafening. :)

Sytes,
The great one is blinded by the hatred he once, presumably, bemoaned during the previous administration...

To quote Obi Wan "This little one's not worth the effort. Come, let me get you something."

Back