MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Timer inquiry into Wyoming Unit 19

jsorum

First post to this forum so if I offend someone, I apologize in advance. I have hunted elk for many years on public land and have been lucky enough to arrow 10 bulls and rifle kill one. However I have never hunted elk in Wyoming but have accumulated 7 points and am looking at unit 19. I'm not looking for any spots just any general information as to the type of hunt and what to expect.
Thanks and like most hunters on this form am a big Randy Newberg fan, BHA member and public land advocate.

Lots of private, lots of people due to being so close to Casper. if you have hunted it before and have it figured out it can be good, which is why locals do well there. Tough hunt to just show up and expect to do well.

The private there sucks up a lot of elk. Not worth 7 points IMO

7 points...Type 2...in the special and archery hunting it, I’m guessing.
I had my sights set on 19 type 1 for years, decided this was the year with 9 points. Started looking into it and I changed my mind and went another direction for many reasons. Now I hear there may be an issue with the Muddy Mountain HMA, I’d look elsewhere but I think it’d still be a good hunt.

I had my sights set on 19 type 1 for years, decided this was the year with 9 points. Started looking into it and I changed my mind and went another direction for many reasons. Now I hear there may be an issue with the Muddy Mountain HMA, I’d look elsewhere but I think it’d still be a good hunt.

^^^this^^^

I have 8 pts and my brother has 10pts we were considering the same thing and are looking elsewhere after calling several NR's that have hunted the unit recently.

If they shut that HMA down the unit is all but 100% private.

Last edited:
just curious as to why you guys are talking about the HMA closing, I haven't found any information about that from the game and fish dept and when I talked to two different biologists about the unit neither one of them mentioned that as a risk/possibility...

I had heard about this happening but hadn't heard about them pulling out of the access yes program. It's a shame that someone would do this but as the article states it wasn't thought to have been done by a hunter...is there any actual talk that the land owner has or is thinking about withdrawing from the program??

I had heard about this happening but hadn't heard about them pulling out of the access yes program. It's a shame that someone would do this but as the article states it wasn't thought to have been done by a hunter...is there any actual talk that the land owner has or is thinking about withdrawing from the program??

There are several ranches/landowners that make up the Muddy Mountain HMA. Hopefully even if one withdraws, the others will remain. It is totally up to them and we may not find out until the HMAs are posted in July. We lost a very good HMA IMO last year when Bell Otte wasn't renewed.

Back