Caribou Gear

Missouri breaks elk

prohuntercem

Hey folks, I've done a good bit of research on the Missouri Breaks units for archery elk. I really want to get out there to bow hunt elk. I do have a boat that i would bring to make access a little better. However I'm trying to decide weather it would be a waste of money to try to get drawn year after year? The price is so expensive for the tag. But if i understand correctly your points don't build up each year? SO each year you start back over from scratch. Here in Georgia where i live our points build up each year and if you don't get drawn you get a full refund. Honestly if i didn't get a Limited draw tag for Montana i wouldn't want a general tag i wouldn't think. Living so far away i would be staying for around 2 weeks to give me time for scouting and hunting. Not looking for a monster bull but would definitely be a little more on the picky side even tho I've never killed one. Thanks fellas

Montana has both bonus points and preference points ...read the regulations. In any event you would be accruing points to draw the tag in future years.
On a side note Montana to me is the mist overly complicated Sytem of all the western states ...drives me crazy.

ok thanks for the reply. Yes it does seem very complicated. Ive hunted Colorado(otc tags for elk and mule deer) and Wyoming before for mule deer and antelope. Their systems are a lot easier. Was fortunate enough to take 3 mule deer and 4 antelope. Ive just always thought it would be a fun hunt to do in the Breaks with a boat and a couple good buddies. Wish i had started putting in for these hunts years ago. New Mexico Gila is another one on my list. Prob my #1 place I want to go.

We don’t have bonus points and preference points, just bonus points. The breaks archery tag isn’t that difficult to draw, but you would be competing with hordes of people and weather (check out the thread called “upper Missouri breaks is a mess”)

We don’t have bonus points and preference points, just bonus points.

It surprises me how often residents don't know this. Yes, Montana has both bonus points and preference points. But the preference points are for non-residents only and they're used to get your general tag which residents don't have to draw. Montana's draw system is the most convoluted in the west in my opinion and their website doesn't do a good job of explaining it. You have to draw a big game combo with your preference points (not guaranteed this past year, and once you do you lose your preference points), then you have to enter to draw the limited tags like the Breaks tags with your bonus points (which if you don't draw, then you accumulate more of). It's pretty strange, and you only get an 80% refund of the general tag which is pretty expensive.

We don’t have bonus points and preference points, just bonus points. The breaks archery tag isn’t that difficult to draw, but you would be competing with hordes of people and weather (check out the thread called “upper Missouri breaks is a mess”)

I believe we have bonus and preference points for NR's. The breaks isn't hard to draw but the competition is tough.

It surprises me how often residents don't know this. Yes, Montana has both bonus points and preference points. But the preference points are for non-residents only and they're used to get your general tag which residents don't have to draw.
Thanks for the education, didn't realize NRs could get pref points. I thought the OP was referring to the recently passed bill that allows people to buy bonus points without applying.

Thanks. Trying to figure out where to apply to or what state even will keep your mind twisted up. Ive also looked into tying my luck in the Gila in New Mexico. Living in Georgia doesnt help at all either as far as being able to put in the time to scout and check out multiple units. Dont expect it to be easy by no means but just when you think you've got it figured out something comes along and steers you the other direction. This will be my 3rd season doing some research and talking to people gathering info and still have not applied for any tags yet. The other thing that throws a kink in it is the fact you dont get your whole tag fee back if you dont get drawn. Price you have to pay if you want to hunt Montana though.

Everyone wants to hunt the permit areas in Montana and I certainly don't blame them for that. What many don't realize is the quality of bulls available in general units during archery season can be as good as the permit areas.

If I were you and you can afford it, I would apply for the permit and hunt a general unit on the years you don't draw. Not having killed an elk yet, you would be gaining valuable elk hunting knowledge, making great memories and be putting yourself in a position to fully appreciate and utilize a premium tag when you finally draw. It is a great tragedy IMO that so many people wait years until they get a good tag before hunting elk at all, thinking that a hard to draw tag will up their success rate. Many find out the demands of that particular hunt exceed their limited knowledge and ability and the experience is not what they hoped for.

Knowledge and experience trumps a good tag every time. A good tag in hand with knowledge and experience under your belt is a recipe for a great hunt.

Everyone wants to hunt the permit areas in Montana and I certainly don't blame them for that. What many don't realize is the quality of bulls available in general units during archery season can be as good as the permit areas.

If I were you and you can afford it, I would apply for the permit and hunt a general unit on the years you don't draw. Not having killed an elk yet, you would be gaining valuable elk hunting knowledge, making great memories and be putting yourself in a position to fully appreciate and utilize a premium tag when you finally draw. It is a great tragedy IMO that so many people wait years until they get a good tag before hunting elk at all, thinking that a hard to draw tag will up their success rate. Many find out the demands of that particular hunt exceed their limited knowledge and ability and the experience is not what they hoped for.

Knowledge and experience trumps a good tag every time. A good tag in hand with knowledge and experience under your belt is a recipe for a great hunt.

+1... couldn't have said it better.

The breaks, at least where we hunt, has been declining over the last 4-5 years. We have hunted up there for the last 12 years and the elk numbers have continued to decline. It got significantly worse after the year they bumped up the bull tags (rifle). I'm hoping the bad drought had something to do with it this year. After 4 days of hunting and checking spots that always held elk I saw nothing. My hunting partner went up after all the rain (burned up his transmission in the mud) and after 5 more days of hunting hard only managed to see 10 elk. Years past it was a bad day if you didn't see at least 10 a day, maybe not close enough to shoot but at least you saw elk. I'm not trying to dissuade you from the breaks but just something to consider.

Good info from all. Thanks. I do plan on hunting in general areas in hopefully one or more of Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico and possibly Utah. My group (2-3 people) would prefer to hike in somewhere 5 or more miles and camp/hunt from there. He has hunted Wyoming a few times when he lived there and has harvested one smaller 4x5 bull. When you live as far away as I do you try to gain as much knowledge and info you can to make your trips count. By count I Do not mean killing a bull in particular. Just want the best odds for what I have to work with, seeing as i cant just wake up and head out elk hunting every weekend. Oh how Id love to. Elk have pushed my button since the first time I physically laid eyes on one in Colorado on my graduation trip my parents gave me. Thanks folks!

Back