MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ideal Camp Location

pablodiablo

Hi Backpack hunters, wanted to ask your input on how you select a campsite? Anything you're looking for or anything you're looking to avoid?

How about location...what are your considerations for camp location in relation to where you expect to glass/hunt etc?

Last question is moving: do most of you set up camp and leave it, or do you find yourself moving camp location once you get in and get a better feel for the elk?

I'm hunting 5 days by the way, in CO first rifle season.

Thanks!

We try to camp relatively close to a water source for filtering drinking water, it sux to haul it too far every day. You will and should go through more water than you think. Also try to avoid areas with too many dead trees from pine beetles. Every year we find some blown down and across the trails that we had come in on a week earlier. Our first year we moved once to get back farther and once to get away from a black bear that got into food that we didn't hang properly. Moving 2 times was enough in a week for us.

If I think the game I am hunting is using the same water source I am, I won't camp near it. I'd rather pack water to my camp than run the game out of the area.

A few criteria I think about:
- stay far enough away from the areas your quarry is bedding, traveling, feeding, so you don't blow them out. Doesn't need to be miles, but maybe the opposite side of a ridge.
- Distance to water (I don't want to waste a ton of time here)
- Stay away from dead trees (AKA: widowmakers), it can get windy. Live trees can be nice to block wind/provide shade
- If you are hunting in bear country, having somewhere to hang food
- you can always move, that is the whole point of backpack hunting, go where the game is.

Howdy. Well there are many good suggestions here. I choose my camp location fairly close to the place I want to start in the morning. I spike camp. I may not be right on top of a ridge, but down and off a little and downwind of course. I like to find a spot that is surrounded by smaller trees that can provide some cover thus hiding the tent and camp actions somewhat. There will not be any big fires or ruckus here, thus keeping my disturbing the area to a minimal. I will be at least 3-4 miles in from any road and I don't have to race the other hunters leaving their base camps early in the mornings. For me a spike camp is mobile enough to change locations as needed. Nate Simmons does it the way I like to do it!!!

MinnesotaHunter pretty much nailed it for me.

Bottom of draws/near creek-No. Coldest spot on the mtn. Dampest also.

Above a feeding or watering area- No. Your scent will be drifting downhill all night long. Any elk passing through will catch it.

Where I pitch.

Leeward side of a ridge where I expect elk to be.

On side slope bench/lip. But not any bench. It must have scree/rockslide below. Elk are unlikely to cross below me at night.

As far as water, typically I can find water within 1/4 mile of by campsites. I will try and filter/treat water after my evening hunt and bring back to camp.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back