Merino Wool

Smartwool on sale @REI & on Sierra Trading Post.
I'm back in black....with one 1/4 zip top with some pinstripes.

Summer/hot weather I wear a thin baselayer that is cammo in a silk/poly/silver blend. Also on sale from STP.

agree with wapitibob.I also get alot off camofire.Anytime theres a good sale I'm buying

I have a bunch of First lite and it is great stuff. My favorite base layer, however, is a wool/synthetic blend by Patagonia. Its lighter than the Llano and is great in warmer weather. I feel the Llano is not really a warm weather base layer (too thick). I generally wear the patagucci and then the Llano on top of that (or Chama depending on temp). The blend still reduces the stink factor, but seems to dry quicker, perhaps because its just lighter weight. If you get one item of merino wool this year, I would make it the red desert boxer briefs by first lite. They are probably the most comfortable thing on the planet.

I have a bunch of First lite and it is great stuff. My favorite base layer, however, is a wool/synthetic blend by Patagonia. Its lighter than the Llano and is great in warmer weather. I feel the Llano is not really a warm weather base layer (too thick). I generally wear the patagucci and then the Llano on top of that (or Chama depending on temp). The blend still reduces the stink factor, but seems to dry quicker, perhaps because its just lighter weight. If you get one item of merino wool this year, I would make it the red desert boxer briefs by first lite. They are probably the most comfortable thing on the planet.

I too have been checking out the blends. I have been strictly using synthetic (UA) base layers and I cannot stand them. The smell, the lack of performance... so I'm ready for a better product. Appreciate all the feedback from everyone!

I have a pair of the aerowool 3/4 boxers and I really like them. They're not as stretchy as the straight wool, and unfortunately, I left them in the laundry pile a few days and when I went to wash them, the had holes from moths. It seems they like them too. My heart sank- as you know that they're fairly expensive. I still wear them as the holes are mainly on the thighs, so now they're extra breathable. Same thing happened to a neck gaiter, (same time), but not as bad. I now keep all of my wool in a rubbermade bins. One for clean and one for dirty.

Kuiu's wool is a wool-poly blend for all- 85/15 I believe?? I still favor the FL Aerowool to Kuiu. That said, if Kuiu is on sale, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more.

Merino is only good as baselayers. I have had great luck with smartwool, my tshirts have lasted years. I am really slim, so FL stuff doesn't fit me well at all. I had a chama too and it got really stretched out of shape after a season. Not a fan. Merino base, synthetic mid, down outer layers for me.

There are some merino baselayers on camofire today, fwiw. Some yoga pants too for the dudes from the Creedmoor thread. ;)

I have First Lite long sleeve tops that I like a lot.

Also have some Cabelas merino socks that are not bad.

First Lite as many others have mentioned. It has worked well for me so far. Someone gave me some new Black Ovis merino that I will be trying out, but I have nothing to report yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back