Shot a 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag Today

LandDiver

This morning I met with a guy who builds long range rifles, in the hopes of buying his 7mm Rem Mag from him. He also had another guy there who was interested in his 300 Win Mag. Both of these rifles were Remington 700's with the 7mm Rem Mag being the CDL SF and the 300 Win Mag being the Sendero. Both rifles had the same amount of work done to them, as well at muzzle breaks.

These were the 2nd and 3rd rifles I have ever shot in my life. The second bullet I have ever shot in my life was today and it was from the 7mm Rem Mag. I took 3 shots with hand loaded 168g bullets at a 12" steel round sitting at 500 yards and missed 2"-3" on all 3. Next up was the other guy who was there for the 300 Win Mag. After talking with him it was very clear to me this wasn't his first rifle. I found myself agreeing with everything he said because I had no clue lol! Well he took 2 shots with 212g hand loads and hit with the second. He had to adjust the scope. His third bullet he went at 850 yards and smashed it. It was really cool to watch. Guy seemed sold on the rifle, and he did in fact get it as he said, "it shot exactly where I was aiming."

Well it was my turn again with the 7mm Rem Mag, and again I just barely missed my 3 shots. Tried another 3 after a break and again just barely missed all 3 shots. I missed all 3 shots in the same spot, and had the makings for a small tunnel started right beside the target. I found myself searching for that comfortable cheek weld, and moving my head up and down, and front to back a lot. Just couldn't find that sweet spot. So they suggested I try the 300 Win Mag. I immidiately passed due to fear. So I shot another 3 from the 7mm Rem Mag and again missed in the same spot, even when adjusting for wind which was pretty strong in the mountains this morning.

Once again they tried to get me to shoot the 300 Win Mag and I said, "okay" this time. After some internal build up I finally chambered the bullet, let them know I was going hot, and shot. 1st shot missed, adjusted elevation because it was left the same from the 850 yard shot the other guy took. Loaded another bullet, and I hit steel! When I heard it go "ting" I damn near jumped off the bucket lol! After talking to the guy I told him it was much easier to find that comfortable spot on the 300 Win Mag then the 7mm Rem Mag. The differences in the stock made all the difference for me. Come to find out, my second shot ws 2" left of dead center.

The guy told me he wasn't going to sell me the 7mm Rem Mag because it doesn't fit me. He also told me since day 1 that even though I don't buy a gun from him, he would help me find that one gun and be done. He said he has bought way to many rifles in his life time to find the perfect one. He told me if he could help me not do what he did, it would mean a lot to him. Which is really awesome for me because I know nothing about rifles and that's the truth.

So after more talking I told him I also shouldered a Weatherby Vanguard and the feel of that rifle was the same as the Sendero. I think the higher comb is what I need. But after feeling the weight of the Sendero I am worried about weight. Just the rifle itself is 8.5lbs on Remington's website. Throw in a scope and I bet we're talking over 10lbs right?

The only other rifle I want to see how it feels is the Winchester Model 70. Do any of you have any idea if the stock/comb is the same from the Model 70 to Sendero?

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 491
As long as caliber is adequate, Fit counts for a LOT. I'd think some time at shorter ranges might certainly be a way to develop some confidence, and good habits. We live in a state with a lot of blm land we can utilize for target practice, take advantage of it, when you find a rifle that fits.

Just think what you can do with a little practice ! Sounds like you had a great time for your first long range shooting session. Now that the bug has bitten, make sure you keep us posted on your progression with rifles, loads, etc. Life will never be the same with long hours of reloading, and trying to tighten up your groups and fine tuning your hand loads.

As long as caliber is adequate, Fit counts for a LOT. I'd think some time at shorter ranges might certainly be a way to develop some confidence, and good habits. We live in a state with a lot of blm land we can utilize for target practice, take advantage of it, when you find a rifle that fits.

This place was very close to me. About 30 minutes from my door. Even saw some Pronghorn out there which I took the time to just watch and admire as I've never been so close to them before. My wife's best friend from college showed up to spend the weekend with us, but I'll catch up with you very soon!

Just think what you can do with a little practice ! Sounds like you had a great time for your first long range shooting session. Now that the bug has bitten, make sure you keep us posted on your progression with rifles, loads, etc. Life will never be the same with long hours of reloading, and trying to tighten up your groups and fine tuning your hand loads.

Once I got over the fear of shooting a rifle I had a blast! I have no intentions on getting a 300 Win Mag. Just shot it to see what the difference in the comb/stock would do and I am glad I did. The guy said he would hand load bullets for me at $2/piece. He said if you can get out and shoot 20 rounds a month that'll be enough to keep hold you over without breaking the bank. As of right now I am set on a 7mm Rem Mag as my one and only rifle. I would love to find a wood stock rifle. My wife really wants one as it reminds her of her childhood, and I like it because it just looks amazing.

I'm going to try and find a Model 70 in stock around me and see how it feels.

I received a text from the guy telling me that the reason why the Sendero fit so much better then the CDL SF (both in a Remington 700) was because of the length of pull. The Sendero being 13.5" and the CDL SF being 14.25". So looking at the Model 70 it has a 13.75" length of pull. Is that a pretty big difference? I am still not 100% sure what exactly length of pull is, but I'm reading up on it.

Congratulations on the shooting. You might want to consider a 7mm-08 instead of the magnum.

Here's some guns to look at. The Howa or Vanguard would be a great gun also.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html#caliber=7MM REM MAG,7MM-08 REM

Always an anti-magnum guy somewhere. Get the magnum. mtmuley

At first I was pretty set on a 7mm-08. But after more reading and searching, and considering what animals I hope to take at various ranges I came to a decision that the 7mm Rem Mag would be what I will be going with. After shooting it today it only cemented that decision for me. Maybe it was the muzzle break, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be in my head. As with anything, just need more time and practice and I'm sure I'll be more consistent and accurate. Just need to find one that fits me and feels good.

LOP is the distance from the trigger to the recoil pad. LOP is not individual to brands. You can change it on any brand rifle as easy as putting on a different pair of socks.

Having a rifle that fits is a big deal on recoil and accuracy, which results in confidence.

Always an anti-magnum guy somewhere. Get the magnum. mtmuley

Mind reading isn't your strong suit.

The 7 Mag is a great gun, no argument there. I'm think more along the lines of developing a flinch. I think that's a real possibility trying to put a bunch of trigger time behind a 7 Mag as your only rifle. JMO

Shooting a 22lr at 100 yards is a good way to learn your fundamentals and stay in practice. $40.00 in ammo is over 500 rounds vs 20 also. Just something to think about.

If you have a chance to try a Weatherby Mark V chambered for a .270 WM or a 7mm WM do it. You may be surprised at the fit and finish. The Mark V Deluxe is the best looking walnut stock available in a factory rifle. The .270 WM is one of my favorites. The 7mm WM is a step ahead of the Remy 7mm with no difference in recoil. If your friend is going to reload for you anyway!!! GJ

A 7-8 lb rifle scope combo in 7-08 has about the same recoil as a 9-10 lb 7rm Without the brake. At least I can't tell the difference. I would go with the 7 RM... 168gr vld's...

Last edited:
Stock and weight make a good bit of difference in recoil. You have to answer:

How heavy of a rifle do I want to carry?

How much recoil can I stand?

Rifles are usually easy to sell, so you can always step up or down in caliber.

At first I was pretty set on a 7mm-08. But after more reading and searching, and considering what animals I hope to take at various ranges I came to a decision that the 7mm Rem Mag would be what I will be going with. After shooting it today it only cemented that decision for me. Maybe it was the muzzle break, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be in my head. As with anything, just need more time and practice and I'm sure I'll be more consistent and accurate. Just need to find one that fits me and feels good.

i have a 7mm rem mag and the muzzle break is amazing for reducing recoil it feels like 308 with a break

Landdiver,
Well you've just run into the issue many weman have. That of the gun not fitting them properly. Many men actually have the same issue, but are able to work around it somehow.

If the guy builds rifles, it shouldn't take more than an hour to properly shorten the length of pull on the existing stock.
If you liked THAT rifle, i'd talk to him about doing just that.

Back