MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How Far with a 7mm Rem Mag?-Elk Hunting

RugerHawg413

Good Afternoon,
Thank you to everyone who responded to my "6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?" thread. After reviewing the thread and the info, I have one more question. How far of a shot would you be willing to take a shot at an elk with a 7mm rem mag? Thank you for any and all info and wisdom!

It’s gonna be the same answer as your 6.5 question.

You need a ballistic calculation that shows the max distance that your bullet of choice maintains enough velocity for expansion.

That gives you a reasonable max distance. Match it with your ability and what you judge is ethical since we are talking about shooting an animal that can move and not a stationary steel target.

It’s gonna be the same answer as your 6.5 question.

You need a ballistic calculation that shows the max distance that your bullet of choice maintains enough velocity for expansion.

That gives you a reasonable max distance. Match it with your ability and what you judge is ethical since we are talking about shooting an animal that can move and not a stationary steel target.
Understood. Makes logical sense. Thank you for the input!

Well, I guess that answers that, LOL!! Thank you for sending!!
The point is the same as @TN2shot07's. Way further than a person probably should. Your 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 prc arent a whole lot different in terms of what a practical hunting shot is (they'll kill a long ways... 6/7/800 + too).

At the range - i see people shooting and wonder sometimes how they ethically shoot much beyond what a crossbow can at an elk. Skillset, ethics, and specifics (is the wind howling, are the animals in the open, etc.) of the situation play a lot more into it than equipment should.

Last edited:
I shoot winchester factory ammo. Power point, 175 grain. Practice to 400 yards but my self imposed limit is 300. Have shot and killed 1 6 year old cow at 300. One shot one kill.
How far are you willing to walk to follow up after taking the shot? Elk aren't steel plates, and hunting isn't long range target shooting. Get closer.

Based on Hornady Factory ammo, the 7mmRemMag 162gr ELD-X and the 6.5PRC 147ELD-M have nearly identical trajectories out to about 700 yards where the 6.5PRC will slightly edge out the 7Mag. It's all up to the shooter and their ability. Impact velocities over 1800 seem to yield full bullet expansion for a lot of cup and core bullets...a bit faster may be necessary for copper bullets. I know there are guys sending target bullets at distance expecting bullets to tumble. That's not within my knowledge set so I cannot comment on those. I'd say if it's within 500 yards you'll struggle to tell the difference between most cartridges.

There's a lot of ethical discussions a person has to be prepared to have with themselves before they pull the trigger. I see enough people at the range that have no business shooting passed 100 yards while others seemingly can't miss.

Last edited:
If you’re comparing the two, these are real world numbers from my guns with high for caliber bc bullets. 3115 might be on the high side for most 7rm w 168’s but 3-3050 with a 26” is certainly attainable for most barrrels.

6.5 prc w 156 @ 2960 24”
IMG_1340.png

7rm 168 vld @3115 26”

IMG_1339.jpeg

Last edited:
Your questions have me concerned. There is so much more that goes into shooting distance than the cartridge.

Are you able to?
Is the gun good enough quality to?
Is the glass good enough?
Quality range finder?
Do you have the ability practice a lot at the distance?
How do you handle recoil?
Have you felt these calibers recoil?

You really need to go to the range with a mentor and do a session to answer these questions.

Last edited:
Your questions have me concerned. There is so much more that goes into shooting distance than the cartridge.

Are you able to?
Is the gun good enough quality to?
Is the glass good enough?
Quality range finder?
Do you have the ability practice a lot at the distance?
How do you handle recoil?
Have you felt these calibers recoil?

You really need to go tot he range with a mentor and do a session to answer these questions.
Thank you for your concern. But, I would have to say, Yes, to most of the questions that you have asked. I am/would be the first to say that I would like to practice more and be better at shooting longer ranges. The reason for the questions is that I would like to have as much info as I can have before making a decision and spending more money then I need/already have spent. I also want to make the most ethical choice I can before shooting an animal.

Thank you though for your post, it does give me a few things to re-review and look over again before making my final decision.

Thank you for your concern. But, I would have to say, Yes, to most of the questions that you have asked. I am/would be the first to say that I would like to practice more and be better at shooting longer ranges. The reason for the questions is that I would like to have as much info as I can have before making a decision and spending more money then I need/already have spent. I also want to make the most ethical choice I can before shooting an animal.

Thank you though for your post, it does give me a few things to re-review and look over again before making my final decision.
I would argue that your actual answers are NO. You don’t have the basics of ballistics and you’re asking the Internet forums generic questions.

The reality is to get over 400 where any of this really starts to matter you need to know ballistics.

Secondly you most likely will need to hand load or have lots of money to buy custom hand loads for your gun. It is possible to find a factory load that works. However, you will spend some money finding it. At a minimum you will need a chronograph to know how fast a given load goes in your rifle.

After all of that, you can use a ballistics app, and hopefully dial 500 to hit a steel target.

If you were capable of all of that you wouldn’t be asking us the way you are.

I would argue that your actual answers are NO. You don’t have the basics of ballistics and you’re asking the Internet forums generic questions.

The reality is to get over 400 where any of this really starts to matter you need to know ballistics.

Secondly you most likely will need to hand load or have lots of money to buy custom hand loads for your gun. It is possible to find a factory load that works. However, you will spend some money finding it. At a minimum you will need a chronograph to know how fast a given load goes in your rifle.

After all of that, you can use a ballistics app, and hopefully dial 500 to hit a steel target.

If you were capable of all of that you wouldn’t be asking us the way you are.
Understood. After reviewing what you have said you are probably correct. Thank you for the info in your post. Any info that I can get to help me as a shooter and hunter I will take.

But, I am sorry that my questions have offended you on such a deep level. All I was asking for was some info from guys that live out west and hunt elk every year and know what it is like to use different calibers.

But, again thank you for the info.

Understood. After reviewing what you have said you are probably correct. Thank you for the info in your post. Any info that I can get to help me as a shooter and hunter I will take.

But, I am sorry that my questions have offended you on such a deep level. All I was asking for was some info from guys that live out west and hunt elk every year and know what it is like to use different calibers.

But, again thank you for the info.
You didn’t offend me at all you just need to know that there’s a lot more questions you need to ask before you ask how far on an elk.

You didn’t offend me at all you just need to know that there’s a lot more questions you need to ask before you ask how far on an elk.
Understood. You are probably right, probably getting the cart before the horse, LOL! Thank you for the info and input in your posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back