Yeti GOBOX Collection

Raft/boat that is packable?

indiana50

I have started looking into some sort of raft or boat that I could use to access a few places I hunt in a different manner and wanted to see what some other folks may be using.

In creating a list of a few things that would be important to me, I came up with:

-Able to float 2 guys or 1 guy + a whitetail safely (so aprox 500 lbs capacity at the least) 2 guys + deer would be even better.
-Relatively pack-able, first thought is something in the 25-50 lb range that collapses to reasonable size, as I don't expect to do any extreme back pack hunting with it but there are a few spots I know I'll use it that will require 1.5 mile or so pack.
-Reasonably durable. Not looking for a pool toy obviously, one spot I have in mind is a swamp with a lot of brush so I want to be relatively confident the boat won't puncture if I use caution. Another spot is a rocky, sandy creek that I may have to drag the boat at times.
-Reasonably priced. This isn't at the top of the list for my gear needs so would like to stay in the $200-500 range. I enjoy searching for deals on used items so even if an option is out of my price range retail, please still share any opinions.

I have access to kayaks and canoes, which may be what I resort to, but love the idea of being able to throw a small raft in the bed that won't take up a lot of space and won't be as cumbersome moving through the woods.

As usual, thanks for any input.

he said $200-$500 hahaha are you an architect? "Of course we can have this done for $25mil" 2 months later..... yeah we're $18mil over budget. hahaha JK! just had to rib ya

Ha! Yeah, shoulda read more closely :)

Packable and able to stay afloat will be hard to do for 2-500...
I paddled the Noatak, a couple of times in Ally canoe and have nothing bad to say about them. Very tough, lots of room for gear with two people, and comfortable enough but a bit more money than you are talking. There are other options for day trips but for those 22 day trips, I wouldn't have taken a chance with something cheap.
REI no longer carries them, but this is what they look like: https://www.rei.com/product/847245/ally-165-dr-folding-canoe

There is actually one of these on my local craigslist right now. I initially questioned the durability but maybe I need to make a trip to go check it out, especially if I can get it cheap.

I would also question the durability and ease of use, but they get good reviews. That's the only thing I could see in your price range that would be even close though.

The Pristine Ventures raft would be a lot better option, but at almost 5 times the cost you would need to use it pretty frequently or have some spare bills sitting around that you didn't want to spend on other things.

The biggest benefit to the Pristine Ventures raft over the sea eagle is that it weighs about half the weight. Those things aren't really something you can stuff in a backpack very easy either.

There is actually one of these on my local craigslist right now. I initially questioned the durability but maybe I need to make a trip to go check it out, especially if I can get it cheap.
I'm in SE Alaska right now and a couple of days ago I had to drag mine about 100 yards across the low tide flats covered in sharp mussels and barnacles. No problem.

Back