Alpacka Raft Mule

I am going to get a packraft for a few trips this summer. Im a small guy and have narrowed it down to the Alpacka rafts Mule. The ine thing I can’t decide on is the material weight… 210d vs 420d. Spending a decent chunk of change on this I want it to last and be durable but it also needs to be packable for long mountain bike and hiking. Has anyone handles the 210d and 420d boats side by side? What are your thoughts? Is the extra weight and bulk worth the added rigidity and durability or is it a moot point? Save $150 bucks and be happy?

What are using it for, mountain lakes or running shallow rivers?

I have the forger, and have used the caribou, mule, classic, and gnarwal. I’d go 420d it’s not that much heavier and it’s nice to have some extra durability.

Ill be using it to run some shallow and occasionally glacial rivers. As well as just a river ferry. Often Ill have my mountain bike on the front etc. I cant see the .6lbs and 2” of extra bulk being the reason I don't use it.

have not used side by side so not much help.

I used the 210 Mule for better part pf a month hunting. It is tuff. It was borrowed from a friend.

Enjoyed the loaner Mule so much I just bought a Mule and a Ranger for myself and my wife and chose the heavier material for the Ranger just because I could and the weight not that different.

I ran that 210d mule though a strainer/sweeper tree and it was under HIGH pressure I thought it mights pop but held up fine, as did I after some scary moments.

Last edited:
I went with the mule in 420d, it is tough!! I have ran it into beaver logs/ dams, dropped my skinning knife on it, drug it across gravel bars, etc.

It is an awesome little boat. I think the 210 would have suited me just fine. While the additional weight of the 420d is negligible, the bulk certainly is. You could reasonable throw the 210d mule into your current pack setup. However, the 420d is bulky enough that I seriously have to plan around adding it to a pack. I would say with minimal frustration but tight packing, you can fit the 420d mule into a 30L sack.

I have no regrets, because I can strap it to the outside of my pack for locations that floating is the goal. I see a smaller lighter size pack raft in my future…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back