Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico archery bull tag unit 17.

Bitter24

Hey guys and gals, first off cant believe I didnt know about this forum before. Im on a bunch of other ones for years and never came across this one. Awesome site so far, and wealth of knowledge. Im from AZ but apply in almost all the western states for elk.

Finally drew a non res archery bull tag in unit 17, Im stoked. Never hunted NM before, so should be a blast. Any of you guys ever hunted this unit before? Been scouring over maps and reading and info I can find. Though curious on general things like road conditions, hunting pressure, bulging, weather and such. My hunt is Sept 1-14th, planning to get over there for 8-10 days to scout and learn the area best I can in a short time.

I know Im a newbie here, and still cant believe I never knew about this forum before. If any of you guys draw in AZ I can help out with questions if its a unit I know personally. Good luck to everyone who drew a tag, and looking forward to Sept.

-Bitter

Welcome. Never hunted New Mexico but hope to some day. If you do some history searches on here you will find a couple conversations about that unit. Hope all goes great on the hunt. Don't forget to post the story and pics afterwards.

Publichunter1, thanks! Thats actually how I found this forum by google searching and found some threads about this unit here. So I signed up. I will for sure let you all know how it goes. Also plan I making some post about my AZ Coues deer, Mule deer, and elk as well to get a convo going with memebers in general. Thanks for the post!

Sounds great. Look forward to reading the stories. This past year was my first for anything out west and am already in love.

Hi bitter,

I live in the area and would stress the two things you will likely see in your research: it is rough country, especially the Magdalenas, less so the western side of the San Mateos. Secondly, hunt the water. I don't hunt archery, so I would assume the elk are lower during that time but there just isn't reliable water around here and finding the big catchments/trick tanks/RMEF watering spots are key. The elk will be within a mile or so and perhaps you can pattern them. This also assumes a somewhat dry August.

Good luck, PM if you need contact info for emergency packout help.

If I read the reg.s right that is a either sex tag.
Ephram hit the high points.
Find water where you can when you can. A full dirt tank can be dry 2 weeks later in NM.
It has decent access but is very rough steep country in places.....the places elk are.

If I read the reg.s right that is a either sex tag.
Ephram hit the high points.
Find water where you can when you can. A full dirt tank can be dry 2 weeks later in NM.
It has decent access but is very rough steep country in places.....the places elk are.

Read the same thing Hank. Question for you....Since I missed on the lottery, have landowner tags been given out? I've never had to go this route so I didnt know when they become available or if I'm already SOL.

I do not know about other units,but I have heard nothing yet.
My unit got moved to NW from SW for some stupid reason a few years ago & since it goes thru Albacackie now I have not been happy.
I have received my tags after the season starts twice since then & my tags were cut in half.
Would have gotten them by now for 6 yrs.
I started talking to the head of the E-plus elk program last year instead of the guy in Crackie. Last e-mail from him said I was good to go & should hear shortly from NMG&F ......that was in Feb.............nothing.
I believe the other areas have received notice or do know what tags they will get. UW & maybe some SCR,outside-Coer tags in NE,SW,& SE should be good on the online list.
I would get a list of ranch contacts in unit you are interested & start calling. Some guys never hear from the outfitters or curious hunters & wind up with tags at end of season. Some already have gotten checks & are driving the new truck of the year....lol.

I do not know about other units,but I have heard nothing yet.
My unit got moved to NW from SW for some stupid reason a few years ago & since it goes thru Albacackie now I have not been happy.
I have received my tags after the season starts twice since then & my tags were cut in half.
Would have gotten them by now for 6 yrs.
I started talking to the head of the E-plus elk program last year instead of the guy in Crackie. Last e-mail from him said I was good to go & should hear shortly from NMG&F ......that was in Feb.............nothing.
I believe the other areas have received notice or do know what tags they will get. UW & maybe some SCR,outside-Coer tags in NE,SW,& SE should be good on the online list.
I would get a list of ranch contacts in unit you are interested & start calling. Some guys never hear from the outfitters or curious hunters & wind up with tags at end of season. Some already have gotten checks & are driving the new truck of the year....lol.

I remember you had issues with tags and getting moved. Hope I didn't get you too fired up. Already have the COER list, havent contacted anyone but I'm not too hopeful.

No problemo.
I did get an e-mail I would hear in a couple weeks....in April. I had forgotten.
I just asked when, again......lol.
Check the Outside the COER list too. Some great ranches on there too.

At times I do. I gave them to friends this year...if I get some. My place is small.

You sure thats only a mature bull tag?

Yes my bad it is a either sex tag, which I probably will only shoot a bull. Never know depending on the situation though more then likely will let cows walk to produce more elk for the years to come. Thanks for clarifying that though.

Hi bitter,

I live in the area and would stress the two things you will likely see in your research: it is rough country, especially the Magdalenas, less so the western side of the San Mateos. Secondly, hunt the water. I don't hunt archery, so I would assume the elk are lower during that time but there just isn't reliable water around here and finding the big catchments/trick tanks/RMEF watering spots are key. The elk will be within a mile or so and perhaps you can pattern them. This also assumes a somewhat dry August.

Good luck, PM if you need contact info for emergency packout help.

Nuevo_eph,

Thanks for the post! Ive heard that through my research and looking at topo and satellite maps. One thing I learned about the mountains is keep putting one foot in front of the other and hope you dont slide down. From what I can tell from maps and images it looks similar country to unit 27 in Arizona which is where I hunted in 2016. Plus my job keeps me in "mountain shape" so will do what I have to do to get on elk.

I know you said you dont hunt the archery season, I kind of figured it would come down to water or sitting water as its the first season and probably wont be talking much yet. Im just curious to find out during the hunt how crowded the water sources are?

Thanks I will keep that in mind for the packout!

Bitter

Hank4elk,

Thanks sounds like water is going to be the major key. Will the elk be high or lower during that first portion of September? Or is the unit pretty diverse with herds high and low?

Second half of that first season is when they'll start to light up. August is typically the wet month. You want a dry august to try to consolidate the herd a bit.

Just looked up the outside COER list. No archery tags for unit 51. If I'm spending that kind of dough I want a unit I know. Otherwise I'll try my luck on an OTC in Idaho

Yes my bad it is a either sex tag, which I probably will only shoot a bull. Never know depending on the situation though more then likely will let cows walk to produce more elk for the years to come. Thanks for clarifying that though.

No problem. Just want to make sure you knew. I'm kind of the same way. I'm a meat hunter first and foremost. But I probably wont shoot a cow opening day. 2-3 days left in the season is a different story.

Nuevo_eph,

I know you said you dont hunt the archery season, I kind of figured it would come down to water or sitting water as its the first season and probably wont be talking much yet. Im just curious to find out during the hunt how crowded the water sources are?

Bitter

I have yet to draw a bull tag for that unit (or period in my life) so I can't comment too much on how crowded it is during that hunt. Frankly, 17 is such a big unit that you might have someone near you over water, but likely only if you are near Magdalena or a popular camping area in the San Mateos that are easy to go to. The two bull hunts I helped on when I was just learning (and we didn't hang near water enough IMO), we never ran into anyone hunting. Fellow NM hunters are typically road hunters. If you find a water tank more than a mile from a road I would bet large sums of money you will be alone.

NM has little to no permanent year round water outside of the few rivers & streams. Those are scarce in southern NM.Monsoon rains are where most areas get water & feed. Aug. & Sept. can be very green with water standing all over.A week later the same area can be dry,dirt tanks included if ranchers don't have cattle there. There are a few FS water sources also in 17. That said in my observations elk are low,dispersed & feeding & drinking heavy in early Sept. prior to the rut.
They will hit the low desert type areas to take advantage of that short feed season & move as needed . Many miles in a day at times.
If there is a good monsoon they will be all over night & day,baring heavy pressure.
As stated NM hunters have become even more vehicle/easy way hunters. I rarely see footprints a mile from a road in my wanders.
That said I have been miles from a road & have had hunters,etc appear . Some on quads.
Public land hunting.
I use natural features to try & block those folks.
Or set up in an ambush place they will travel to water if others are on the only tank,or where they will run from said place at 1st light or when they hear a quad.
I have been finding a lot of elk bedded or moving between busy roads too, now that I don't go as far as I once did.
Was doing some research with a geologist/hydrologist neighbor on water data in the 17 area recently & was enjoying my 1st visits outside of just up to the observatory area.
Might be on my list for deer & elk next year if I get adventurous..... Apache Kid Wilderness if I get real to my heart.
On a side note, heard of 6 head of cattle killed by wolves in Mag. area ranches last week. So they are around.
Good Luck & Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Back