Idaho Unit 1 spring hunt

35cal

Planning a unit 1 spring hunt for next year. I've read through a lot of the threads so I apologize, I'm probably asking some tired questions.
I am planning a lot off google earth. I was planning on hunting somewhere north of priest lake. I read a bear habitat study done in the 80s on bears near priest lake that kind of helped me decide where I wanted to hunt. Having never been to this unit, is it pretty thick timber for the most part? I have months to research and try to plan but figured I'd see what first hand experience I could learn from.
My other question is about the Grizzlies? I know they're up there and I plan on carrying bear spray but is it all that likely to encounter one?
I was going to look for select cuts or maybe closed logging roads but I think most of the area above priest lake is national forest
Any info or experiences regarding this unit would be great. It's going to be my only hunt next year so I really want to make the most of the time I'll have.

Bro, check my pm and again I'm sorry about the delayed response. One of these days I hope to start a new thread, maybe title it " Bear Hunting for Dummies" (not suggestive regarding you or your thread). But I think I've written a prior thread with a similar title that served no useful purpose so maybe I won't. I'm always puzzled why hunters rely on maps when planning spring bear hunts, equally why they target the wrong types of terrain to search for bears, their obsession with baited stands etc. What I find even more puzzling is why bear hunters hunt black bears in the fall (unless they're meat hunters) when bear claws are well worn and pelts are not in their prime the way they are after emerging from hibernation in the spring time. On second thought I think I'll do the the thread. Anyway, check out my pm.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back