Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New rifle? New caliber?

BrentAK

They're probably a hundred different ways to answer this question but I could use a little help.
First I live in SE AK so game wise blacktail, blackbear, islands nearby have goats, elk, and moose.

For rifles: Sako finnlight and a Kimber. I like that Kimbers come with a threaded barrel as I will be running a suppressor. Could the Sako barrel be threaded?

Calibers: .270 win because jack oconner nuff said. 7-08 availability of ammo and like the .270 will take the game around me without a problem. 6.5 creed moor just to jump on the train. Last but not least .3006 because you have so many options for reloading and can handle a moose.

Thanks for any input.

Either Rifle will do well for you...I rarely hear grumblings about Sako and I think you can have a gunsmith put threads on it...with Kimber I've heard/seen enough things that I don't think I'd buy one sight unseen. The issues include tooling marks in chamber, poor coatings over Kevlar stocks (brand new Mountain Ascent), & terrible groups (I think that one has been resolved in recent models.

Can't go wrong with any caliber especially if you reload.

30-06
larger bullets for bigger game, can go really heavy for short range, brushy country if you wanted, lots of components to reload and ammo is available pretty much everywhere

very versatile caliber that can handle a wide variety of jobs.

30-06. I don't like either of the rifles you listed, so I can't pick one of those.

I shouldn't been surprised by all the 3006 love it's such a versitile caliber. But everytime I read someone say they will all work my mind counts it has a vote for the .270. Haha I need to quit reading Jack O'connor.

Nothing wrong with the .270 Win. Load it with a 150 grain Barnes TSX or TTSX and it will drop a moose with good placement. The Sako in .270 or 06 would be my choice of the bunch.

The only reason I picked the 6.5 Creed is that is the one that I do not have haha. But I would recommend the .270 and 30-06 in a heartbeat as well. you can't go wrong with the .270, the legend Mr. O'Connor killed more critters with it than I will probably see in my life!

I shouldn't been surprised by all the 3006 love it's such a versitile caliber. But everytime I read someone say they will all work my mind counts it has a vote for the .270. Haha I need to quit reading Jack O'connor.

I think you owe to Jack to take a look at the Win M70 Extreme Weather.

.270 win would be my choice. 130gr Nosler AB, or my new favorite a Barnes T-TSX. Barnes will do what heavier bullet will at a lighter weight. As for rifle, your call.

30-06: favors bullets over 160 gr, trajectory really drops after 400 yds.
7 RM : favors bullets 140-165 gr, flattest trajectory of the 3, best of the 3 beyond 300 yds.
270 W: Out to 400 yds, 140 gr bullet essentially duplicates trajectory of 7 RM w 160 gr. Less recoil than the others.

Survey says: For hunting deer-size game more often than elk, 270 wins.

I got a 6.5# 270 so I wouldn't have to carry my 7 RM over hill and dale. Keeping both, each has their place.

As I recall, during Jack O'Connors time, he was limited to the standard cup & core style bullet, and for a long time the 130 grain bullet was all that was available for the 270, and he was able to accomplish a lot with that caliber. I'm sure he would have been more than ecstatic with what is available today. Townsend Whelen had wrote in one of his books that the then new 270 with 130 grain bullet was more than capable of cleanly harvesting any animal that walked the North American continent. Of course Mr. Whelen later on in life fathered the caliber that bears his name, the 35 Whelen. Both individuals also conceded to the fact that the 30-06 was probably the best big game cartridge to ever be developed, and both used it extensively.

Back