MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NoCal Trout?

mdunc8

I'm in Corvallis for work and was thinking about checking California and/or Nevada off my fish list. Does anyone have recommendations for a spot to check out that isn't too far from the Oregon line? I'm more interested in a good experience than the size of fish. I'd happily catch some rainbows or browns, but I get to catch plenty of them back home so it might be nice to mix it up a little.

Thanks,
Mike

If you go through Grants Pass and head west towards the coast (Brookings/Crescent City), part of the drive takes you along the Smith River. It's a gorgeous river, especially where it runs through the redwoods, and I remember as a kid snorkeling in the slack water below the riffles and in the deep holes and just watching trout for hours. It's mostly rainbows. I saw the biggest black bear of my life along that stretch.

I don't know how far you want to drive, but the Pit River, McCloud River, and Fall River are beautiful and have awesome trout fishing. Also Hat Creek is world famous for catch and release.

I would second the Hat Creek recommendation. If it were still summer, there are some great mountain lakes & creeks....but it's a little late for that.

The upper Sacramento flows right along highway 5 from Dunsmuir toward Redding. Great roadside access for most of that stretch. Mostly rainbows. It is worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. However, it looks like I'll be working tomorrow and I've been invited to go salmon fishing and crabbing off Newport Sunday, so I guess California and Nevada will have to wait.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. However, it looks like I'll be working tomorrow and I've been invited to go salmon fishing and crabbing off Newport Sunday, so I guess California and Nevada will have to wait.

a salmon and crab feed along the coast sounds great , hope things go well, gives us a shout-out at the end of the day as to how thing went down

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back