Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

help me pick a stove for cooking.

I would definitely recommend the MSR pocket rocket. I have used it down to -20 and at 12,000 in high winds and it preformed flawlessly. You can get winter mix canisters if you are worried about that, and they make small canisters that will easily last 6-7 days if you are just boiling water. Also in a pinch you can light that sucker and hold it next to a piece of wood and basically use it it as a blow torch if you need to light a fire and everything is damp.

I use a MSR Pocket Rocket and the Olicamp pot. Side by side with my buddies Jet boil, mine weighs less and boils faster. You can also carry an 8oz fuel can in the pot and it takes less room in your pack and you have enough fuel for a week.

I also use a smaller toaks Ti pot and the BRS mini stove with a 4oz canister for short weekend trips and it is a really small and light set up.

Also in a pinch you can light that sucker and hold it next to a piece of wood and basically use it it as a blow torch if you need to light a fire and everything is damp.

Works great. I pile some sticks and set the micro upside down at an angle. Viola, warming fire.

+1 on the Jetboil for simplicity. I also run a MSR Whisperlite International and it is great for more than one guy or super cold camping. But 90% of the time, i use a Jetboil.

I refused to consider the bulkier, heavier jetboil for years, preferring instead my pocket rocket or dragonfly stoves until one year in Colorado when I finished off my second canister of fuel and had to rely on my brother to heat water for both of us with his jet boil...from the only canister he brought. I went out and bought one after that and haven't thought twice about it. With a small fuel canister it will last me the better part of a week and the entire set is self contained. I still don't love it but I haven't found a better alternative when backpacking.

I refused to consider the bulkier, heavier jetboil for years, preferring instead my pocket rocket or dragonfly stoves until one year in Colorado when I finished off my second canister of fuel and had to rely on my brother to heat water for both of us with his jet boil...from the only canister he brought. I went out and bought one after that and haven't thought twice about it. With a small fuel canister it will last me the better part of a week and the entire set is self contained. I still don't love it but I haven't found a better alternative when backpacking.

Brother, I've been a camp chef for years, and camp cooking is one of the great joys I have in the backcountry. The smaller, lighter stuff definitely has it's place. But, when it comes to making a great meal, you CANNOT beat the heavier stuff. I take in my Lodge cast iron with me EVERY time. It's a part of base camp and frankly, I love getting back at the end of the day and cooking up a GREAT meal. If I need to simply add water, I have little interest. I'd prefer to do my own dicing and cutting, sauteeing, and sauce making from scratch every time. And, my cast iron, is by far the best cookware available today. It may be heavy, but, unless I'm packing in on horses, it's absolutely no bother.

I use a Camp Chef, two burner, propane cook top and my wood burning stove to do the majority of my cooking. A good size fry pan, griddle, and dutch oven are the essentials. With that I make homemade biscuits, sourdough bread, sauces, and casseroles. Yes, a little more time, but the result is a meal worth waiting for. If I have to cook a little away from base camp, I start a fire, and cook using a stick to hold it over the fire. It doesn't hearken back to the good ole days of our hunting heritage than this. If you haven't, check out Curt Rollins on YouTube. He does it this way as well.

Last edited:
Backpacking in 5-6 miles, mid september start, 5-6 days in backcountry spike camp. Need help with cooking stove recommendations. Wyoming, elevations 8-9500

The smaller, lighter stuff definitely has it's place. But, when it comes to making a great meal, you CANNOT beat the heavier stuff. I take in my Lodge cast iron with me EVERY time. It's a part of base camp and frankly, I love getting back at the end of the day and cooking up a GREAT meal. If I need to simply add water, I have little interest. I'd prefer to do my own dicing and cutting, sauteeing, and sauce making from scratch every time. And, my cast iron, is by far the best cookware available today. It may be heavy, but, unless I'm packing in on horses, it's absolutely no bother.

I use a Camp Chef, two burner, propane cook top and my wood burning stove to do the majority of my cooking. A good size fry pan, griddle, and dutch oven are the essentials. With that I make homemade biscuits, sourdough bread, sauces, and casseroles. Yes, a little more time, but the result is a meal worth waiting for. If I have to cook a little away from base camp, I start a fire, and cook using a stick to hold it over the fire. It doesn't hearken back to the good ole days of our hunting heritage than this.

I guess you have a wide range of choices.;)

I have a passion and talent for cooking that is at the higher end of the spectrum. I believe select cast iron cookware is a necessity in any great kitchen. But, there is NFW I'm going to pack in a skillet into the backcountry.

I have a passion and talent for cooking that is at the higher end of the spectrum. I believe select cast iron cookware is a necessity in any great kitchen. But, there is NFW I'm going to pack in a skillet into the backcountry.

My cooking talent is likely quite a few notches below yours, but I share your opinion on the cast iron. If I can drive or ride a horse to the spot, cast iron is fine. My Mystery Ranch has a distinct aversion to it though.

Lots of good info for you on here already but here are a few more bits of info.

Grittybowmen did a podcast a while back on stoves you might find useful. http://www.grittybowmen.com/gritty-podcasts-blog/2016/3/29/episode-103-cook-stoves-with-aron-snyder

DIY Sportsman on youtube puts out some good videos too. Here is his review of light weight option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gngpIRy_zY

If you don't think you will do much backcountry stuff again I would just go with the pocket rocket and see if you can get a deal on one. I don't think its worth the extra money for jetboil or similar stove for a one time thing. If you plan to do this every year then might be worth the money to go with MSR WindBurner or jetboil. I would also go to store like REI or similar and get opinion from people who do lot of backpacking. They should also have a model that you can play with in the store which is always beneficial. What ever you go with make sure you use it in backyard or on test trip before you go so you know how things work before you get in backcountry.

Hope that helps and good luck.

I agree, to an extent. There is NO way, anyone should pack in cast iron on their back. I've done it with horses, and it's no problem. So, I'll assume you are referring to packing it in yourself, and with that assumption, I agree. The point I made was simply it is incomparable in its cooking quality. But, on the practical side, it's a base camp item only. I truck mine in to base camp annually or nest it all together properly and let a horse do the work getting me and my cookware into the backcountry.

Jetboil, hot water, mountain house.
More time hunting, less time screwing around with eating.

MSR reactor would work too.

Jetboil, hot water, mountain house.
More time hunting, less time screwing around with eating.

I agree. My time in the field is limited enough that food takes a lower relevance. It's fuel to keep going.

If I'm steelheading in the winter, and I'm not worried about being on the water at first light then the big propane stove and griddle have their place.

I bought a Whisperlite stove that burns white gas. It cranks out a lot of BTU's, however it's also pretty thirsty. When you light it cold, it always spews gas out of the lower cup, and that gas will ignite whatever's under the stove until the stove warms up and then just draws the fuel to burn hot like it's supposed to. So, you best always be prepared for this. You'd never want to light it inside anywhere. It's also overpriced.

I bought a Whisperlite stove...When you light it cold, it always spews gas out of the lower cup, and that gas will ignite whatever's under the stove until the stove warms up

;)You should look up the proper priming procedure for a liquid fuel stove. You'll waste less fuel and you won't risk burning the woods down.

Lots of info out there comparing liquid vs canister stoves. Like most things, I try to use the best parts of each design. I prefer liquid for cold temps and cheap simple fuel. They are a little heavier, but they are more versatile.

I use an MSR dragonfly. Simmer to blowtorch, it can do it all. I've perfected several recipes that require more than boiled water, but don't require lots of cooking. Its a nice change from Mountain House.

I've used an MSR whisperlight for years now, but I usually just boil water with it. I like it and have never had any issues with it. Reading about the jetboils, I may have to get one. I just never liked the disposable canisters issue. Just another thing to have to pack out as trash.

I've used an MSR whisperlight for years now, but I usually just boil water with it. I like it and have never had any issues with it. Reading about the jetboils, I may have to get one. I just never liked the disposable canisters issue. Just another thing to have to pack out as trash.

I started with a Wisperlight and agree it is fine. You lose me at the packing out trash comment. If you run your fluid/gas out, don't you still pack out an empty container? Anyway, if you have something that works for you, great.

30+ years with an Optimus 8R. No propane tanks. Runs on white gas, unleaded but I just use the diesel I drain from my fuel water seperator. The lttle tank lasts me 7-9 days, boiling for 1 dinner/day. Can find used on ebay for $50-60. New $130ish (ouch)!

I own an MSR pocket rocket and use it all the time. Haven't had any issues yet.

However, we used our friends MSR micro rocket in the Sierras for a 6 day trip a few weeks ago, and were able to heat THREE meals a day for four people ( oatmeal and Mountain House type stuff ) plus make coffee for the entire trip on a single 8 oz can, and there was still fuel in there for a couple more days. They did have a pot like the one shown above, but I was impressed.

Last time I tried to rely on having a wood fire, we walked right into a fire ban! For less than a pound including fuel, you can always be prepared with a pocket rocket or similar. I prefer the models without a tube/pipe connection to the fuel as that's where I have seen failures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back