Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Time

RefuseToFollow

This is my first time on a forum so bare with me. I like everyone else on this forum like to do it myself. With that being said my brother in-law and i want to plan a colorado elk hunt. We have dreamed of it for years and are starting to plan it for the 2016 or 2017 archery season.

Any tips and information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Set a goal for success on this hunt. Might be to hear bulls bugle. Might be harvest a bull. You might look at northern NM as well. Perhaps MT. Build a gear list and anticipate altitude challenges. Good luck!

The right gear will make for an enjoyable trip. The wrong gear can make for a miserable trip.

The right conditioning will make for an enjoyable trip. Lack of conditioning will make for a miserable trip.

Welcome to forum. Use the search feature and you will find tons of threads that have had this same discussion. Go to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website and use their hunt planner. It has a ton of information.

Heres my advise,ifr your looking to go in 2 years then buy points in Wy.A general tag there,imo, is way better then any Co otc tag.I'd be buying points in Co too if that's the state your set on.A couple points can help reduce the crowds.You just need to find a good 2 point unit.You should also consider Montana.I'd take a Montana general tag any day over a Co otc hunt.
What state are you from??The research can be fun,but also scary if your coming long distances to an unknown area.States websites can give a ton of imfo.Then call the local biologists of units your interested in.Read as much as you can about elk and their habits.Your hunt will be NOTHING like you see on those tv shows on private land.Have a plan A,B,C,and give the hunt 8-10 days if you can
Good luck,and be prepared to go every season after your first hunt;archery elk is VERY addicting

Extreme elk magazine is pretty good source of imfo on elk hunting combined with hunt stories.I would get Eastmans or Hunt fool to understand the draw process a little better too for each state.Concentrate on 1 or 2 states at first,and grow from there.The different draws for each state can get very confusing quick.You have a couple years so make sure you buy points in at least one state

Back