Field dressing turkey

junior88

this will be my second turkey hunt and was curious as to what you guys prefer. skinning it or plucking it. what are the best ways to do it? thanks

I've never shot or attempted to shoot a wild turkey. I can tell you what I have heard from buddies. I heard if you skin them, they dry out terribly when you cook them. I have also heard they are horrible to pluck. We used to pluck domestic chickens and turkeys, and they were a PITA to pluck.

I always skin mine. Then, rub with butter and whatever dry herbs I grab. Stuff some vegatables inside the carcass. Also, I bake it inside an oven bag.

3 big things for not drying it out:

1) It has to be fresh, never frozen. I'm talking the night it's killed, or the next night at very latest.
2) Don't over cook it. I always pull it Out when the leg feels loose.
3) Let it rest for at least 30 minutes before removing it from the bag and carving.

I prefer to have them plucked. I usually get frustrated with that so I end up skinning them and then cutting them up.

A trick is if you skin them, lay slices of fatty bacon over the breast and legs to reduce drying.

I skin them and then fillet the breast meat out, which I will use for various recipes and take the legs/thighs out to grind for turkey burger.

bjtc brian---Skinning them and then dropping them in a fryer is the only way to go IMHO. It does lock the moisture in, the cooking time is very short compared to baking, and the eating is fantastic.

Spare me.Plucking a turkey is flat out easy,it just takes a little patience.Hang your gutted bird in a tree with both legs tied separately so the bird won't spin as you two hand it.Cut the wings off,and tail.Start with the drumsticks and work your way down.You'll find some areas pluck easier than others.Just grab the feathers at the base,(not too many) and snap your hand.You'll get a feel for it.I pluck all my birds in the field to spare the pile of feathers at home.Be bold and try it,its really not that hard.Allow yourself 30 minutes,or so.Then you have a turkey that looks like one from the store,.....unless you body shoot it.:D

I've done it both ways but skinning and breasting is my preferred method. To prepare I cook in a slow cooker in chicken broth and make chili or stew out of it. No moisture problems.

Step on the on the wings breast facing up. Pull on the legs until the breast comes out. Its easier to do when there still warm. Take the legs off from there and finish plucking. Ive only shot a handful of turkeys and done it to every one of them. Works fairly well. Works even better on grouse.

Skin 'em. fillet the breast out, butterfly the two sides, slather on the BBQ and grill. Wife then turns the rest of the carcass into turkey soup ( be sure to use the Klusky egg noodles ). That folks, is some fine eatin'.

I have only done two...but what I do is skin and breast the bird, skin the drums and wings and remove and you are done. It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes. The best recipe I have found from my limited experience is to take the breast and cut into half inch strips and marinade in Lawrys Mesquite marinade for about 30 to 45 minutes, throw them on a hot grill and cook until done. You can baste with additional marinade from the bottle to keep moist (do not use what you used to marinade the turkey breast in). That is some great eating. For the legs and wings, throw in a pot and cook as a soup or a stew. I hope to have a couple of birds in the next week or two. Kids are excited to get out in the woods and take their first turkey.

It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes. The best recipe I have found from my limited experience is to take the breast and cut into half inch strips and marinade in Lawrys Mesquite marinade for about 30 to 45 minutes, throw them on a hot grill and cook until done. .

I do the same except I marinade my strips in "Jack Daniels Mesquite". It is on the shelf in Walmart and other stores. I comes in a foil pouch. Open it up and throw in the turkey strips and marinade overnight. I then take the strips and lay them out on the counter & take a piece of BACON and lay it on top of the turkey. The procede to roll it into a "broil". Put a toothpick threw to keep it together. Cook in oven or on the grill for about 20 minutes. Delicious!!!!!

good luck to all
the dog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back