witch wyoming elk unit?

dan.kirkpatrick

Ive been looking over the new 2012 wyoming non-res elk draw ,,,I have 1 point and am looking for any information on unit 34,,62% chance of draw,,,unit 38 lower odds,,,and unit 98,,32% chance of draw,,,has anybody hunted either of these 3 hunts? what did you think of them and were you successful outside the wilderness area as i want to go d.i.y. on my own.

anybody with knowledge of unit 98 please p m me,,,not looking for anything exact just any info on unit 98 would be great,,,are there elk outside of the wilderness areas?

What Oak mentioned is the one way to be pretty assured of getting the general Elk tag with one PP as a second choice.

it looks like no chance of a gen tag on reg $591 tag as a second choice,,,,46% chance as a first choice as a general tag,,,appears only difference between general tag and unit 98-1 tag is that 98-1 tag opens sooner but then can only hunt that 1 unit only,what avenue should i try?

Some general rifle units open early in the nw part of the state.I personally wouldn't try and draw a tag with not alot of area to hunt.better off with a general,imo.I'm debating going into special draw to keep building points,and hunt every year there

Sounds like a fun hunt. Good luck

At first looking at the title of your thread I thought " They can't get a a wolf season but they can get a witch hunting season?" ;)

thanks,im tryin to coordinate a antelope,deer,and elk triple hunt if i get lucky with my draw,98-1 elk will be the tough one to draw w 1 point though.950 miles from oregon so it will be my main hunt of the year,,,still tryin to get more info on unit 98.

Dan---Are you saying that you're going to try to hunt all three of those animals DIY in Wyoming in one season without ever being in the areas you would be hunting? If so, I think you're making a big mistake. It's not too bad trying to combine a good deer/antelope hunt if you aren't too picky on at least one of the two animals, preferably the antelope. To try and do justice to all of those will be awful hard and probably a waste of money on one or more of the tags. You could do it, but I would allot a month for all three of those animals in order to have a good chance at each of them. The 950 miles you mentioned is nothing compared to the 1500 I'm driving each way.

what im planning is a antelope hunt that starts sept 10th,then not too far away a regional deer hunt that starts sept 15th,then if im lucky on the draw, a elk hunt in same region as my deer starting sept 20th ,making it basicly a 5 day antelope hunt,5 day deer hunt/scouting for elk,then on 20th deer and elk both at same time,,,of course i have to stay out of the wilderness as a non-resident but basicly a 3 in 1 trip as it would change every 5 days,,,then 900 miles back to oregon,,,$591 for the elk is whats probly gonna be the hardest tag to fill if i have to stay out of the wilderness.Im thinkin 3 weeks if i draw all 3 tags timewise,what do ya think?

I think you buy 2 doe Antelope tags and shoot all 3 in 2 days, being happy with a 10"-12" buck. Then hit the Deer and Elk with some vigor.
That buck Antelope will cost you $300 so you need the does to get your average down. Might do the same for a doe Deer.
I think I would start later and tack the days on the Elk hunt, those are the days you'll need.

I'm doing an Antelope, Cow elk combo if I can get it all figured out but I want the Cow Elk to be a scouter trip for a Bull hunt down the road.

I was thinkin of the antelope does as a posibility,,,that could turn the hunt into posibly a 5 in 1 trip,,,is it best to see if doe tags are available as leftover tags or put in the draw at same time as buck application?I think does are $35 extra a piece ,if im right ,,,Ill have to take my freezer and generater with me to keep all the meat though.main concern is $591 elk tag in a unit ive never been too and have too stay out of the wilderness.

Well, don't tell anybody but if you click the little box on the Antelope application, you'll draw 2 doe tags if you draw the buck tag (provided they are not all gone), then, if you picked the right unit, you can buy 2 more doe tags from the left over sale. :hump:
Same for Deer I do believe.
Then there is Elk....

Since you're from Oregon, I'll cut to the chase; you can draw a type 6 Cow tag for that unit as a 1st choice, with no points used for type 6. Then, buy a point for the bull tag, hunt the unit as you were planning, and next year, draw the bull tag with one more point and hunt an area you now know.
From personal experience with my Utah LE hunt, you really need a year in the unit, under hunting conditions and hunting time frame to make the best of the situation. There is no way in @@@@ you will hump to the top of those hills, just to turn around and go down and back up another one, day after day, if you're just "scouting".

PS; you don't lose the man card if you shoot a Cow at least one state away.

thats true and i think the cow tag is only $320 or3 40 or so compared to the 591 any elk tag if i cant find elk outside the wilderness areas as public forest ground is limited and dont know if theres much for elk out in the lower blm grounds.

Im now debating about either doing a general tag and also a general deer in the same area so i can hunt both,,,or trying to get a cow tag and save my point,,,would a person not put in the reg draw or how would you apply for the cow tag and keep building your points?Ive heard cow tags are available as leftovers? in alot of the units.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back